Friday, October 18, 2013

Babalu: My comments about Humberto Fontova's "Che" post

(My new Babaly post)
I loved that he referred to Che as a "....cowardly, murdering swine...."
Thumbs up to Humberto for one of the very best descriptions that I've ever heard of that swine named Che!
I sent my sons, nieces and other young friends a copy of the post.
I told them to read it and challenge the next person who comes into their college circles wearing a Che shirt.   Within seconds, one of my very pretty nieces wrote back:
"Luckily I haven't seen any Che hipsters.  They know better than to wear those shirts around me...."
Thank God for a niece like that!
Humberto's post also reminded me of my uncle's encounter with Che in 1959.  My uncle passed away in 2008 and was a great source of information and stories about those early days of what was called "la revolucion".  He was an architect in Cuba and attended The University of Havana in the turbulent 1950's.  He was there and recalls the lively debates about the future of Cuba in the classrooms of the university.
My uncle said that he felt very pessimistic about Cuba when he met Che in the early days.
His words were like this:
"I knew that we were in deep trouble when I saw Che waving a pistol and bragging about himself."
Tio Pepe's words stayed with me and I think of them whenever Che comes into the conversation.
Let me paraphrase Humberto:  Che met justice that day in Bolivia.
Yes he did!
We are grateful to those Bolivian peasants who turned him in.  They saw the same charlatan in Che that my uncle did in the early days of "la revolucion".
My message is blunt:  Anyone who wears a Che shirt is stupid, ignorant or a swine like Che!

Tags: Humberto Fontova's post about Che  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog