Friday, May 04, 2012

The potholes on "La Carreterra Central" and other impressions of an island destroyed by communism

We spoke with Kevin Hall and Jerry Brewer about Cuba.

Kevin recently visited Cuba and wrote 3 articles.  

I found the first one fascinating because it told the story of "La Carreterra Central", or the same highway that we took every summer to visit my cousins in Ciego de Avila.

I remember sitting on the bus and counting the electric posts.  My brother and I used to count them and notice the vibrant and beautiful countryside.

Kevin Hall wrote about that highway a few weeks ago:

"About four hours in, I got on the narrow Carretera Central. Imagine a two-lane back road in Anywhere USA. 

Now imagine it rutted with deep potholes. This was my road, and my starting point for picking up riders.

Hitchhiking is about the only way to get around outside Cuban cities. Gasoline costs about what it does in the United States. 

Most Cubans don't have cars. Most earn a monthly government salary of less than $20. 

Getting from Point A to Point B requires patience, lots of it. The central highway is clogged with horse buggies, ox carts and tractors pulling wagonloads of people.

Cuba differs from the rest of Latin America in that there aren't shops and stalls along the roadside with people eking out a living in sundry small businesses. This sort of self-employment has only just been legalized in Cuba, which officially disdains the private sector, so it isn't widespread yet."

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/04/10/144721/in-cuba-hitchhikers-bemoan-a-host.html#storylink=cpy

I was a kid back then but memories of La Carreterra Central were a lot different.    I remember a lot of farmers and economic activity.  I remember that the bus would stop for Cuban sandwiches and "guarapo" at some of the eating places.

Cuba has changed and you can see it on that Carreterra Central, another example of how a corrupt communist dictatorship has destroyed Cuba.

Click here for our chat with Kevin Hall & Jerry Brewer:


Listen to internet radio with Silvio Canto Jr on Blog Talk Radio





Tags: The potholes on "La Carreterra Central" and other impressions of an island destroyed by communism  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog