Saturday, December 31, 2011

Joe Pena was a wonderful man and conservative leader!

We learned that Joe Pena died this week.  To say the least, it is a great loss to those of us who value integrity and friendships!

Everyone has a Joe Pena story.  He was one of the original Hispanic GOP leaders in the Dallas area and served in the Reagan administration.

My Joe Pena "story" goes back to 1984 when I was new to Dallas and looking for conservative GOP contacts.

We had coffee and Joe gave me a full report about all of the activities and people to meet.  He did it all with that wonderful smile and sense of humor.   

Joe's humor was well known.  He'd always make fun of my Cuban background with a word or slang.   He gave me "a $1 million bill with his picture on it" the very last time that I saw  him!  He was so funny!

He made my day when he invited me to a "Hispanics for Reagan" meeting with Pres Reagan at the 1984 GOP convention in Dallas.  He did it again a few years later when he invited me to take a picture with then VP Bush running for president in 1988.

What else can you say about such a wonderful man?  He was quite an inspiration to all of us who carry the conservative flag.

We will miss Joe Pena a lot! 

Adryana Boyne created a Facebook page with details about the funeral.  Please go there and show your respects to Gloria and his family.

Again, we will miss Joe Pena a lot:


Listen to internet radio with Silvio Canto Jr on Blog Talk Radio


Tags: Joe Pena died in 2011  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog