Tuesday, January 18, 1972

January 1972: The Bee Gees and "My world"



By January 1972, The Bee Gees were enjoying quite a reputation as hit makers and wonderful songwriters. 

They had just hit # 1 in the US with "How can you mend a broken heart" and sold millions with 'round the world best sellers like "Lonely Days", "I started a joke" and beautifully arranged tunes like "Holiday".

Like many of their fans, I kept up with the group's news on the radio.  We did not have Internet or e-mails back then to warn us of new releases.

"My world" was so catchy that it stuck with me as soon as I heard it on the radio.  I think that I learned the melody & lyrics in minutes. 

I went to my favorite store and said to the manager:  "How about that song by The Bee Gees that goes "my world is your world and your world is my world....."

He gave me the 45 and said "Here it is"!    (By the way, those were the days when you had small record stores and proprietors who actually knew their inventory)

Then it was off to home and the turntable. 

It became a huge international hit.   It was great!  I love the way that they harmonize the chorus!

The B-side was "On Time" with the late Maurice doing the lead vocals.  I was glad that both of these songs were included in the "Tales from The Brothers Gibb" box set released in 1990.

Of course, no one knew that day in 1972 that Barry, Robin & Maurice were just getting started.  By the end of the 1970's the brothers were one of the best selling bands in the world.    At one point, they had six # 1 songs in a row.  They also wrote and produced albums for Dionne Warwick, Barbra Streisand and Diana Ross.  Add Andy Gibb and you had a ton of record sales for the very talented brothers!

You can buy "My world" here.     This is "Best of Bee Gees, volume 2", an album released in the US in 1973.
 
P.S.  You can listen to my show (Canto Talk).  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column.



Search This Blog