Friday, February 06, 1970

1964: "I want to hold your hand" by The Beatles was # 1 this week

Beatlemania officially began with "I want to hold your hand" jumping to # 1 on Billboard.    

A week later, The Beatles landed in New York for The Ed Sullivan Show.  To say the least, pop music would never be the same!

In the US, the B-side was "I saw her standing there", a song from the first LP in the UK.    In the UK, it was "This boy", a song featured on "Meet The Beatles", the first US LP.

"I want to hold your hand" was # 1 for seven weeks.   It was one of the best selling singles of the pop era.    And it is also now available in a digital format.

P.S.  Check out my blog for posts, podcasts and videos. If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.


Search This Blog