Saturday, June 06, 1970

June 1968: Waking up to the news that RFK was shot!


Image result for robert f kennedy shot newspaper images
It was an early June school night.   As I recall, we had finals or something else going on in school the next day.   So my parents told us to shut off the TV and hit the pillow early.

I did catch the 10 pm news and specially the baseball scores.

Aside from the Democrat California primary, there was a huge baseball story in LA.

The LA Dodgers' Don Drysdale had just pitched another shutout.   He was in the tail end of throwing 58 consecutive scoreless innings.

At 10:30pm, I saw a bulletin that Senator Kennedy was ahead but it was too early to call it.  So I went to sleep.

In the interest of full disclosure, our whole family was supporting former VP Nixon in '68. 

My dad woke us with the news that Robert Kennedy had been shot in LA.   It was a shock.  It confused my little sister who said:  "It was his brother who was killed"!

What if RFK had lived? Would he have won the nomination?

Nobody knows for sure. My guess is that RFK would have lost to VP Humphrey in the first ballot.

Why? Sound familiar? VP Humphrey had the delegates. He also had President Johnson and the party machine on his side.

RFK's death was very tragic. It was a terrible moment in a pretty tough political year that included the assassination of Reverend Martin Luther King two months before.   

Nevertheless, RFK would have never been nominated intensifying the crisis within the Democrat party.

P.S.  You can listen to my show.  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.

Search This Blog