Tuesday, June 23, 2020

We remember Rafael “Felo” Ramirez, 1923-2017


Image result for felo ramirez images
The great Rafael "Felo" Ramirez was born on this day in 1923 in Bayamo, Cuba, and died in 2017.   

Felo brought his conversationalist style to calling a game that he loved as much as anyone.


My parents grew up listening to Felo and baseball games on the radio in Cuba. 


I connected with Felo in the 1980’s during my time in Mexico City.  Starting in April, and all the way to the World Series, there was Felo Ramirez on the radio broadcasting major league baseball games to Latin America.  


Felo was behind the microphone for Don Larsen’s perfect game in 1956, Roberto Clemente’s 3,000th hit in 1972, and Hank Aaron’s 715th HR in 1974.  
As my late father used to say, Felo and baseball on the radio were made for each other.    
In recent years, Felo was the voice of The Miami Marlins.
P.S. You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.

Search This Blog