Saturday, June 10, 1972

We remember Chuck Thompson (1921-2005)


Image result for chuck thompson orioles images

The great Chuck Thompson was born in Massachusetts on this day in 1921.

A few years ago, I heard the news that Chuck Thompson died in Baltimore.   He was 83.  

Thompson was the Orioles radio announcer for a generation.   He also did the Colts!

Chuck was a Vince Scully kind of announcer. He had that golden voice and sounded like he was having a one on one chat with the listener.

I remember staying up all night listening to Chuck Thompson call an Orioles' game from the West Coast. 

Or driving around on a Sunday afternoon tuned to a Yankee-Oriole September pennant race game. 

Or listening to my shortwave radio in Mexico City catching up with baseball on American Forces Radio. 

I remember Frank Robinson's 500th home run! 

Brooks Robinson's last home run, a game winner in '77!

It was great. So many memories courtesy of Chuck's wonderful voice!

It was so good that I would turn down the TV volume and listen to Chuck.  

I never met Chuck Thompson personally but he touched many of us with his baseball play by play.

P.S.  You can listen to my show.  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.



Search This Blog