Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Happy May 20th to all of my Cuban friends

Related image

(My new Babalu post)


Back in 1902, Cuba became an independent country after 400 years as a Spanish colony (1492-1898) and the US occupation (1898-1902).
JM Sierra recalls the moment:
“May 20. Tomás Estrada Palma is sworn in as president, and the Cuban flag is finally allowed to fly over Havana.”
As one of those of us who grew up in the US, I always found May 20 as a great day to learn about Cuba.
My grandmother, who died in 1984, left Cuba and would share her stories often.    She was a young girl on May 20, 1902 and told me a lot about the day.   She remember flags all over and a great sense of optimism every where.
My parents also had their own stories, specially from their school activities.   I recall my mother telling me about the parade in Ciego de Avila.   Her family lived across Parque Marti.
My father had many tales of events in Sagua la Grande.     By the way, this is the first May 20th since my father died last December.   I miss chatting with him about this day.
I learned a lot of Cuba history hearing their memories of May 20.
May 20 is actually bittersweet for many of us.   We remember Independence Day 1902 but understand that Cuba is not free today.
P.S. You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.

Search This Blog