Saturday, September 14, 2013

The welfare state is way too big when I pay for your baby's birth

(My new American Thinker post)

We hear about the explosion of food stamps or the numbers of people on government assistance.

Before I get a bunch of insulting email that I don't care about poor people, let me tell you a couple of things:

Our family landed in the US without a penny.  Yes, I mean zero - like, nothing.

Upon landing in the US, our family was assisted by a church, individuals and lots of smiling faces who opened doors unconditionally.  We never expected the US government to give us anything.  Americans gave us freedom and that's what my parents were looking for.  

My parents were not in a "maternity mode" but they would have never expected to have the US government pay for their babies. In fact, I remember my uncle showing my dad a private health insurance policy and telling him to get one.  It was one of the "USA-101" moments that so many of us went through.

Forward to today.  This is where we are:  
"According to researchers from the George Washington University (GWU) School of Public Health, in 2010, almost half of all births in the United States were paid for by Medicaid, and that rate is only going to go up. Medicaid was responsible for 48% of the 3.8 million births in 2010, an increase of 90,000 births from 2008, which was an 8% increase during that period."
At what point is the welfare state a bit too big for our own good as a nation?  Where is the line between helping people and creating dependency?

I'm all for helping people who've been laid off or uprooted by economic dislocations.  There are also charities and churches who are willing to help people in need. 

My question is this:  Why are we paying for all of these births?  Aren't the parents working?  Can't they afford to pay for their own health insurance? 

Where is the father?   Why aren't we asking him to pay for maternity expenses?  Why isn't he expected to pay for these expenses?  Yes I mean expected! 

Sorry but this is too much government.  This is not "a safety net" anymore.  This is a pathway to dependency. 

You can catch our show with Dr Ileana Johnson here:



Tags:  Welfare state, Medicaid, maternity  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog