Monday, August 03, 2020

"Where have all the flowers gone": Still one of my all-time favorite songs!


Just heard this one on the radio a few days ago.  "The Kingston Trio" recorded the best version of this song. (I guess that Peter Paul & Mary has the second best version).  

According to songfacts
Pete Seeger wrote this song as a call for peace.   He was inspired by Mikhail Sholokhov's novel “And Quiet Flows the Don”, which is about Czarist Russia.

In a 1988 interview with Paul Zollo, Seeger explained:
"In one of the early chapters, it describes the Cossack soldiers galloping off to join the Czar's army.
And they're singing: 'Where are the flowers? The girls have plucked them. Where are the girls? They've all taken husbands. Where are the men? They're all in the army. Gallop, gallop, gallop, wheeeee!'
I stuck the words in my pocket. "
It's a great song!

PS: You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter. If you like our posts, drop a dime here.  



Search This Blog