Saturday, March 15, 2014

RIP Mr McDuffie: The sailor who kissed a young woman to celebrate the end of World War II

We learned that Glenn Edward McDuffie died in Texas:

"Glenn Edward McDuffie, the young sailor from Houston who can be seen in one of the most iconic photos from the end of World War II, has died, according to family members.    

The Navy veteran was 86.   

McDuffie was 18 when he said he was captured in the famous kiss photo with nurse Edith Shain.   

“I heard someone running and stopping right in front of us. I raised my head up, and it was a photographer,” McDuffie told the Houston Chronicle in 2007. 

“I tried to get my hand out of the way so I wouldn’t block her face, and I kissed her just long enough for him to take the picture.”  

McDuffie collaborated with Houston Police Department’s forensic artist, Lois Gibson, in 2007 to prove that he was the sailor sharing that lusty kiss with Shain in Times Square on Aug. 14, 1945. 

The kiss was captured by famous Life magazine photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt on V-J Day."


Thanks for the picture and your service!

Click here for CANTO TALK:


Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio



Tags: The kissing photo of World War II  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog