Friday, August 13, 2021

I hope that we always teach our children about The Berlin Wall

1960 harold macmillan | Newspapers, East berlin, Berlin wall
The Berlin Wall is something I grew up talking about.  It’s a little bit different for my sons.  In fact, our 3rd son was born the year after the Wall came down in the fall of 1989.  

The construction of the Berlin Wall started on this day 1961 and the first casualty came in August 1962.    It happened when two young men tried to escape.  One young man made it to the other side.  Unfortunately, the other was shot in the back and bled to death.

From 1961 to 1989, the Wall was an international symbol of freedom.  You had free people on the Western side and a repressive state on the East.   It was clear to most of us that this wall meant something.  

I don’t expect future children to have the same passion about the Berlin Wall that my parents or I had.   We are just hoping that they learn about The Berlin Wall, its meaning, the people who died attempting to cross into freedom and how bipartisan policies of containing communism brought down the wall.   

We can not forget those who were killed crossing this wall because they wanted to be free.

P.S.  You can listen to my show (Canto Talk).  If you like our posts, click send, and drop a dime here.

Search This Blog