Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Mary Wells' pop classic still sounds great after all of these years


Over the years, I've come to love pop songs, specially those that I wasn't old enough to remember or purchase when they were on the charts.

Mary Wells's "The one who really loves you" was a big hit in 1962.    It was another song written by Smokey Robinson.  We posted something about Smokey Robinson a few days ago.

She was only 20 and one of the early stars of Motown, the record company that gave us The Supremes, The Temptations, The Four Tops & so many other wonderful performers.

Mary Wells died in 1992 but left behind a bunch of fun hits that we've grown to love over time.  Her other big songs were 'My guy", "Two lovers" & "You beat me to the punch".

Click to hear "The one who really loves you", a song that has been a part of quite a few soundtracks:




"Some other girls are filling your head with jive
So now you're acting like you don't know that I'm alive

Love, you better wake up, yeah, before we break up

And you lose me, little me The one who really loves you
Susie only wants you until the day


(only wants you until the day)


That she'll again have her true love who's far, far away

(her true love far away)


So love, you better wake up, yeah, before we break up

And you lose me, little me

The one who really loves you


(I really love you, yay, yay, yay)


Ginnie only wants you 'cause she thinks

she has to have everyone


Minnie only wants you 'cause she thinks

that hurting me would be fun


Oh, oh, oh, silly Lilly, you know she doesn't

really want you with a love that's true


In fact there's no other girl in this whole wide world

who can love you like I do


They get tired of you and they're gonna put you down

(put you down, put you down)


Then they ain't gonna want you hanging around

(hangin' around, hanging around)


So love, you better wake up, yeah, before we break up

And you lose me, little me

The one who really loves you


(I really love you, yay, yay, yay)


I-I-I-I-I-I-I do

Really, really love you (I really love you)

Uh-oh, uh-oh,uh-oh-oh-oh
Uh-oh, uh-oh,uh-oh-oh-oh...."



Search This Blog