Thursday, September 17, 2020

One more reason that home schooling is growing


The Holocaust - Wikipedia

Over time, I have spoken to several parents who teach their kids at home.  Over and over, I hear two primary reasons for their decision.  First, we can’t afford a private school.  Second, we  want to make sure that our kids get a round education,especially history.
Yesterday, I learned this:   
Almost two-thirds of young American adults do not know that 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust, and more than one in 10 believe Jews caused the Holocaust, a new survey has found, revealing shocking levels of ignorance about the greatest crime of the 20th century.
According to the study of millennial and Gen Z adults aged between 18 and 39, almost half (48%) could not name a single concentration camp or ghetto established during the second world war.
Almost a quarter of respondents (23%) said they believed the Holocaust was a myth, or had been exaggerated, or they weren’t sure. One in eight (12%) said they had definitely not heard, or didn’t think they had heard, about the Holocaust.
How did this happen?  I guess that this is what they’ve been taught in schools.  What else could it be?
It wasn’t always this way.  Once upon a time, we taught students about World War II and how U.S. forces liberated concentration camps.  
What are they teaching now?  I don’t know, but many young people between 18 and 39 have no clue about the Holocaust.
I guess that the 2020 election matters even more than I thought!
P.S.  You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.

Search This Blog