Thursday, August 07, 1975

How a "bridge" inspired "Jive talkin'" by The Bee Gees


Back in the summer of 1975, I was driving between Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  I had my left hand on the steering wheel and the other searching for WLS Chicago, the big top 40 station of the Midwest.  

And then I heard "Jive talkin'" for the first time.


My first reaction was that they were saying "child talking".


Second, I knew that it was The Bee Gees because I instantly identified Barry's voice.


Third, I knew that this was a very different sound from the Gibb brothers.


A week later, I got my hands on the 45 and it is still one of my favorite tunes from the 1970's.


According to song facts, the very unique intro was inspired by the sound of crossing a bridge in Florida. 


Great song and one of their many #1 songs!


Click here for the digital version of the song and the "Main course" LP.


P.S.  You can listen to my show.  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.


Search This Blog