Sunday, May 03, 1970

May 3, 1469: Niccolo Machiavelli was born

Image result for machiavellian images

Niccolo Machiavelli was born in Florence on this day in 1469.   

We remember him for "The Prince", or the book that he published in 1532 when he was briefly jailed.  The book was intended as a handbook for politicians and it inspired the term "Machiavellian".   Some say that he is the father of modern political theory.  

I've read the book at several times in my life:

First, I had to read it in school;

Second, during a flight between Dallas and Chicago; and

Third, I saw the paperback on sale a few years ago and read it again one summer afternoon.

It is a good book and easy to read.  

He also wrote several poems and plays. 

Machiavelli died on June 21, 1527, in Florence, Italy.

P.S.  You can listen to my show.  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.








Search This Blog