Thursday, February 03, 1972

Buddy Holly 1936-1959: He is still making fans years later!

In 1972, Don McClean introduced our generation to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper in the # 1 song"American Pie". 

It started like this:     
"A long, long time ago...I can still remember How that music used to make me smile. And I knew if I had my chance That I could make those people dance And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while. But February made me shiver With every paper I'd deliver. Bad news on the doorstep; I couldn't take one more step. I can't remember if I cried When I read about his widowed bride, But something touched me deep inside The day the music died."
The "day the music died" was years ago, a big triple loss for pop music. 

McClean's tune got me very interested in Buddy Holly, a native of West Texas.
 
I bought his records. I visited his grave during a business trip to West Texas about 20 years ago. I have followed the creation of The Buddy Holly Center in Lubbock, TX.
 
I learned that Paul McCartney was also a huge fan of Buddy Holly. He toured England in 1958!
 
The Beatles recorded Holly's "Words of Love" in one of their early LP's. The Rolling Stones recorded "Not fade away", another of Holly's songs.
 
Buddy Holly was only 22 but ".....In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked Holly #13 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time."
 
You can hear Buddy Holly's influence in every rock song recorded over the years. You can specially hear it in garage bands or every 15-year old who has played a rock guitar.
 
Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper were killed in the same plane crash. They were not as popular as Holly but Valens had incredible potential since he was only 17!
 
The day "the music died", a sad day in the history of rock.
 
P.S.  You can listen to my show.  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.
 


Search This Blog