Wednesday, February 12, 1975

1809: Abraham Lincoln born in modern day Kentucky




Image result for abraham lincoln images
This is how Abraham Lincoln remembered his birthday:
"I was born Feb. 12. 1809 in then Hardin county Kentucky," wrote Lincoln in June 1860 for Thomas Hicks, "at a point within the now recently formed county of Larue, a mile, or a mile & a half from where Hodgin'sville now is. My parents being dead and my own memory not serving, I know no means of identifying the precise locality. It was on Nolin Creek." [Thomas Lincoln possessed 348½ acres of land when Abraham was born. Abraham's birthplace is approximately three miles south of present day Hodgenville, on Nolin River.] Memorandum Concerning His Birthplace, 14 June 1860, CW, 4:75-76."
The Lincoln Log is a wonderful website. It is a day by day log of the president's life.   

P.S.  You can listen to my show.  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.

Search This Blog