Sunday, February 04, 2018

Fidelito and another suicide in Cuba

Image result for fidel castro son
We learned that Fidel Castro’s only son, known as “Fidelito,” died in Cuba. The Cuban state media reported that he committed suicide because of depression.
So far, no independent news source has been allowed to investigate the case.
As a kid in Cuba, I remember images of Fidel Castro and Fidelito tagging along wearing a military uniform.   I recall another image of Fidelito in a baseball outfit.  I did not hear much about him after that except that he was going to school in the old USSR.    It’s fair to say that Fidelito lived a privileged life and did not have to face the shortages that other kids had to endure.
Fidelito is the only child of Fidel Castro and Mirta Diaz-Balart. They were married in 1948 and went to New York for their honeymoon.
As I understand, Mirta is now 89 and lives in Spain.   She always kept a low profile.   Most of her relatives left Cuba, such as Lincoln Diaz-Balart, who became a member of the US House representing South Florida.
We have no information about Fidelito’s death.    The Cuban media told us that he killed himself.
Suicide is a very complicated issue.   Nevertheless, “Fidelito” now joins a long list of others close to the regime who committed suicide.   What does it mean?  I don’t know but there are others.
So did Fidelito kill himself?   Let’s say yes but the Cuban media also told us that crickets attacked US diplomats over the last year.  So please forgive me if I am always skeptical of the Cuban state media.
P.S. You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.

Search This Blog