Friday, November 11, 2016

He told me in Spanish that ObamaCare is killing him


Like many of you, I stop and get my morning coffee in the same place. It’s not unusual to talk a little politics over coffee these days.    
I asked the manager: Were you surprised that Trump did so well with Hispanics? He answered no. By the way, my friend is a legal immigrant from Mexico with an outstanding work ethic and wonderful family.
There is a bit of disbelief in some corners about the Hispanic vote and president-elect Trump. it certainly did not turn out as predicted.   In other words, Hispanics voted for Trump after all, as we see in this USA Today report:
The Hispanic vote was bigger and more influential in the 2016 presidential election, just as predicted, but it also provided one surprise: more support for President-elect Donald Trump than expected.
Hispanics favored Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton 65% to 29%, a 36-point difference that helped her secure winning margins in states like Nevada and Colorado and kept her competitive late into the night in other key battleground states.
But that margin, based on exit polling conducted by Edison Research, was smaller than the 71%-27% split that President Obama won in 2012. And it was smaller than the 72%-21% her husband, former president Bill Clinton, won in 1996.
Why did he do that well? My friend gave me the answer, and it is ObamaCare. He told me what his new premium would be. He told me that several of friends had similar complaints.    
Another problem with ObamaCare and Hispanics is the idea that they are being forced to get it. My experience over the years is that a lot of Hispanics pay cash for the doctors or medicine. This is especially true of young men who rarely use insurance.
So what about the experts? They were wrong, specially so many in the Hispanic media. Why so wrong? My experience is that many Hispanic journalists are really Democrats working at a news agency.
Finally, the GOP has to do better. We will need more than 30% of a growing voting bloc. Hopefully, we can now focus on economic growth and school choice. Let’s do that and you will see that 30% grow over time!
P.S. You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.

Tags: Hispanics and Obama Care To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog