Saturday, August 11, 1973

August 1973: Happy anniversary American Graffiti



We celebrate another anniversary of the release of "American Graffiti", a movie that I've grown to like over the years.

It must have been 1984, or maybe 1985, when I rented a copy of the movie to try out my new VHS player. 

I rented "American Graffiti" because there weren't that many other options available.  In fact, I remember that I checked out "Blood and Sand", the story of the Spanish bullfighter dealing with fame and fortune, and "For whom the bell tolls", the Hollywood version of Ernest Hemingway's book about the Spanish Civil War.

My new VHS player introduced me to "American Graffiti" and specially the amazing soundtrack of songs.  I fell more for the songs than the script.  Eventually, I came to like the story, too.

American Graffiti was about a bunch of kids in their first summer after high school.  It was great and I like it a lot now even if I was too young to enjoy songs like "See you in September" by The Tempos.

Click to watch.

P.S.  You can listen to my show.  If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.


"I'll be alone each and every night
While you're away, don't forget to write
See you in September
See you when the summers through
Here we are Saying goodbye at the station
Summer vacation Is taking you away
Have a good time but remember
There is danger in the summer moon above
Will I see you in September
Or lose you to a summer love
Counting the days till I'll be with you
Counting the hours and the minutes too
Have a good time but remember
There is danger in the summer moon above
Will I see you in September
Or lose you to a summer love....."

Search This Blog