Monday, June 30, 2008
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Lou Gehrig was Babe Ruth's teammate in the 1927 Yankees. Lou was one of the greatest players of all time. Unfortunately, he played in the Babe's shadow.
In 1939, Lou was forced out of baseball by an illness. He died soon after. Before his death, he gave a short but inspirational speech in Yankee Stadium:
Satchel Paige dominated the old Negro Leagues. He was a great pitcher. Who knows what Paige would have done in the majors? My guess is that he would have been one of the greatest pitchers of the 20th century:
Take me back to the 1941 season. From May to mid-July, Joe DiMaggio hit in 56 consecutive games, a streak that has not been matched since. Pete Rose had a 44-game streak in 1978. No one has come close. The streak finally ended in Cleveland.
Question: How can any human being hit in 56 straight games? The answer is that Joe was something special:
Ted Williams closed the 1941 season by hitting .406, the last major leaguer to reach that mark. George Brett hit .390 in 1980. No one has come close. Williams lost some of his prime years to World War II and Korea.
The Dodgers-Giants rivalry is one of the greatest in sports. In 1951, the Dodgers and Giants had a special playoff to settle the NL pennant. It came down to the bottom of the 9th. It was Ralph Branca vs Bobby Thompson:
In 1954, Willie Mays made the most famous catch in baseball history. How in the world did Mays catch up with this missile from Vic Wertz' bat? The answer is quick instincts and amazing ability:
The Braves left Milwaukee after the 1965 season. Therefore, I never had a chance to fall in love with the home team. Years later, my friend Jerome had me listen to the audio version of key moments in the team's history. The big moment was Henry Aaron clinching the 1957 pennant with a walk off home run. It must have been wonderful to be there:
A baseball time tunnel? Wouldn't that be nice?
P.S. Here is an extra item. I wish that I had seen Bart Starr play football for Lombardi's Packers:
Hamilton and Kinsler should start! Young and Bradley must be there, too! (My annual beef with fans picking the All Star team!)
Tradition matters. I'm OK with adding a veteran, such as Henry Aaron in the 1975 Milwaukee All Star game. I'm OK with playing a veteran who is retiring, such as Cal Ripken in 2001.
However, the All Star game is no longer an exhibition. It decides home field advantage in the World Series.
Winning matters so let the best guys play!
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Trini Lopez was born Trinidad López III in Dallas. He hit the top of the charts with "Lemon tree", "Michael" and "If I had a hammer":
It took me a while to learn about Vikki Carr. She was born Florencia Bisenta de Casillas Martinez Cardona in El Paso, TX. I heard a lot of her songs before learning of her Hispanic roots. She was a bilingual singer before Gloria Estefan made it cool to do so. One of her biggest English hits was "It must be him":
? and the Mysterians had a few hits. The group's name promoted mystery, almost like a cult around lead singer (?) a.k.a Question Mark.
They were Mexican American kids from Flint, Michigan. They were Larry Borjas on guitar, Robert Balderrama, and Robert Martinez on guitars and bongos. The lead singer was the mysterious ?.
Their biggest hit was "96 tears":
Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs was headed by Sam, who was born Domingo “Sam” Samudio in Dallas. They recorded "Wooly Bully", one of the greatest party songs of the rock era:
They did not make as much money as today's performers. In fact, some of these artists are out of music today. Yet, we should remember their unique contributions to the Hispanic experience.
Tony Perkins is President of the Washington, D.C.-based Family Research Council. This is a great TV ad about Obama's pro-abortion positions.
Obama can do anything. Obama will fix every problem.
Obama even makes corn pop!
If Obama can make corn pop then think of what he will do he sits down for a chat with Iran!
Allapundit has a good question: Is this the first Obama miracle of the season?
My question: When will he walk on Lake Michigan?
Friday, June 27, 2008
Thursday, June 26, 2008
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- What was Gen. Wes Clark thinking?
- How long can BO get away with this?
- Congratulations to the Spanish team!
- BO should worry about Ohio and leave Mexico alone!...
- A baseball "time tunnel"!
- Hamilton and Kinsler should start! Young and Brad...
- Say hello to Chris Davis!
- "Latino" performers in pop music!
- Pregnant teen girls is a national tragedy!
- BO is 100% for abortion and partial birth abortion...
- Weekend humor: BO can make corn pop!
- How long before the "yes we can" screamers say tha...
- The Supreme Court got it right!
- McCain is best for Mexico and Latin America
- McCain has an energy plan!
- No babies in Spain but the apes now have rights!
- BO's green "hope and change"
- Show your support for US troops on July 4th!
- A video response to MoveOn.org and baby Alex!
- Can this girl hit a major league slider?
- BO: From "Vero Possumus" to "Caveat emptor"
- Tuesday's show: Women for McCain
- McCain-Romney is still the best ticket!
- Success and media silence in Iraq!
- George Carlin was a funny man!
- The new RNC ad!
- What happens if BO is not the Messiah?
- The "seal" is gone!
- A word about Pres. Bush!
- Why is Obama playing the race card?
- The Rangers this week!
- Leave Michelle and Cindy out of it....unless they ...
- President Obama already has a seal! So let's canc...
- We remember La Orquesta Aragon
- The Brothers Gibb and other brother/sister musical...
- Read Barone before you buy your ticket to the Dem ...
- BO is about telling people what they want to hear!...
- McClellan speaks before the "18% approval Congress...
- McCain and "free trade"!
- So what did Bill Clinton say about Iraq!
- Let BO spend whatever he wants.....he is still too...
- An update on the Mexico situation
- Say hello to the "PEMEX Democrats"!
- We need more Rudy-G in the McCain campaign!
- Fill your car with $4 Pelosi!
- Is BO now switching on NAFTA?
- Obama and Iraq!
- BO is 9-10; McCain is 9-12!
- What's new with immigration?
- Happy birthday, Paul McCartney!
- What they use to say about Pres. Lincoln!
- A word about Mr. Pouncy, our school principal!
- Obama's advisor said what?
- Al Gore loves playing the "martyr" role!
- Will BO stand with the unions or the DC children?
- How sick is the American left?
- BO is right about fathers....but will he tackle th...
- Obama's real "woman" problem!
- The Rangers enjoy the New York rain!
- Religion and fatherhood!
- Happy Fathers Day
- What is BO telling voters about the Supreme Court'...
- Fathers is what our kids need!
- Un segundo! Didn't Spain withdraw its troops from ...
- The petition drive is growing!
- The Europeans and Pres. Bush
- Judges who put you at greater risk!
- Tim Russert's death is a shock!
- Dear BO: These Che posters will hurt you in Florid...
- We have not been attacked since 9-11!
- Hillary's women are not BO's real problem
- The Supreme Court decision makes no sense!
- What about Obama-economics?
- How about a champion to celebrate the new faciliti...
- Let's drill!
- Happy birthday to the first Pres. Bush
- How honest was BO about Iraq?
- Where can we drill?
- Were they trying to hit the ump?
- "Hope and change" meets reality!
- Saddam and terrorists
- Michael Young up to 23 games!
- Let oil companies do what they do best!
- Memo to Dems: Taxing oil companies won't cut price...
- Gas prices up 75% since Dems took over Congress!
- When will BO show up at The O'Reilly Factor?
- A great article about BO and the American left
- Congratulations to Ken Griffey, Jr!
- Guess what you will find in BO's official website?...
- Keep those Rays away from your team!
- The pathetic Dems sink to a new low over Iraq!
- "Safe": The new McCain TV ad
- Two versions of a great song!
- Very rare songs by The Beatles
- The "Meet BO" website is here!
- HRC is endorsing BO now?
- Memo to Calderon: Hang tough!
- A review of the McCain campaign!
- The minimum wage and the new unemployment rate!
- We remember Pres. Reagan!
- D-Day 1944: What so many young men did 64 years a...
- BO beat HRC because of very stupid Dem rules!
- BO should pick Joe Biden!
- 2008 is looking like another typical election!
- When will BO finally get to Iraq?
- Shouldn't BO explain the Rezko relationship?
- Congratulations to the Red Wings!
- Robert Kennedy, 40 years ago tonight!
- Race won't be a major factor in BO's upcoming defe...
- BO and Jewish Americans!
- Obama has some crazy friends!
- Who is BO?
- Tell her no!
- What kind of "dream ticket" is this?
- Is Obama shifting on Iran?
- Again, same sex marriage is a loser for Dems!
- On our way to 270!
- Don't you find this Dem vote count a bit amusing?
- A real hero: Ross McGinnis
- McCain to BO: Do your homework before you come to ...
- Dear BO: Go to Iraq and see what you've been missi...
- Josh Hamilton is player of the month again!
- Get well, Senator Kennedy
- BO joined, and quit the church, for sheer politica...
- BO's appearance on "Fantasy Island" is about over!...
- PR: Impressive victory for Hillary Clinton!
- The victims can't get enough victimhood!
- McCain has Obama on the run over foreign policy!
- BO has a "political" change of heart!
- They can't govern but how they hate Bush!
- The great music of the summer of 1968!
- ▼ June (131)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- ► 2005 (400)