Monday, November 23, 1970

2013 post: Our first Thanksgiving in the US

Image result for thanksgiving images
(My new American Thinker post)

First of all, let me say thanks to the AT family for letting me post a few thoughts over the last year.  

Let me say "muchas gracias" for my great family, parents and lots of good friends.

And now let me tell you about my first Thanksgiving in the US.

Like most immigrants, we learned about Thanksgiving when we got here.  I had heard of "The Lone Ranger," "Mickey Mouse," "Rin Tin Tin," "Mickey Mantle," New York Yankees, "Santa Claus" in Cuba but had no idea of the Thanksgiving holiday.  

Nevertheless, it was the kind of holiday that Cuban "refugees" could easily relate to:

1) we like family meals;

2) we like telling stories; and best of all,

3) we had a lot to be thankful for.

Our family's first Thanksgiving gave my dad "a day off" from those two jobs that he was working back then. It gave my cousins a chance to tell us all of those Mayflower and Pilgrim stories that they had learned the year before.

My uncle told us about The Mayflower Compact.  He said that it set the tone for the self government that would follow later. And we got to eat "turkey" and all of the other stuff that goes with it.  I had never eaten turkey before!

In the early evening, my mom and aunt were in the kitchen cleaning things up.  As we were putting the food and leftovers away, I said:   "No entiendo.....porque le dicen "turkey" a un pavo de Wisconsin"?   ("I don't understand. Why do they call a bird from Wisconsin a turkey"?)

No one knew the answer but the "turkey from Wisconsin" was great!

 P.S.  Check out my blog for posts, podcasts and videos. If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.



Search This Blog