Wednesday, November 18, 1970

1966: Sandy Koufax retired from baseball



Image result for sandy koufax images
Sandy Koufax retired on this day in 1966.   His arm was spent at age 30.  

I saw him pitch a couple of times on TV, or more specifically when he broke my heart in game 7 of the 1965 World Series against my favorite Twins.

For my money, he was the greatest lefty of our generation.   Just ask the hitters who couldn't hit his wicked pitches!

From 1961 to 1966, his last season with the LA Dodgers, he won 129 games and led the league in strikeouts 4 times.  He was also the ERA champ 5 seasons in a row.

What about the post season?   He pitched the Dodgers to victories in the 1963 and 1965 Series.  

It's a shame that arm troubles cut his career short!

Check out the book by Jane Leavy.

 P.S.  Check out my blog for posts, podcasts and videos. If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.




Search This Blog