Sunday, May 28, 2006

2006: Does anyone remember Barry Bonds passing the Babe?


Image result for bonds hit 714 images



Does anyone remember?  I recall a lot of controversy surrounding this.  On this day in 2006, Barry Bonds became the third man to hit 715 home runs.  

Some of us are old enough to remember Mantle's last home run in '68. Or, Mays and Aaron hitting their 500th, 600th and so on.

Of course, I remember Aaron tying and breaking Ruth's record. It was a Monday Night Game early in '74. The pitcher was Al Downing of the LA Dodgers. I can remember Aaron rounding the bases and getting a handshake from Bill Russell, the Dodgers' shortstop.

He was greeted at the plate by a young Dusty Baker. Tom House, who later served as the Rangers' pitching coach caught the ball in the bullpen.

It was very exciting. Like many fans, I was invested in Aaron's achievements.

Sorry but I was not excited about this achievement.  I don't know if it had something to do with steroids'  or just loyalty to the others.  Bonds just did not have the same positive impact on me that Aaron or Mays did.

Maybe it's because I grew up loving Mantle, Aaron and Mays. Maybe it's all the stuff about steroids.

P.S.  Check out my blog for posts, podcasts and videos. If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.

Search This Blog