Monday, January 15, 2018

Chilly night and thinking of baseball and Opening day


Related image


It's a chilly night so let me look ahead to spring and baseball.

Opening Day should be a national holiday. I'm not suggesting that we shut down the post office and the banks.   It should be a national holiday for baseball fans.

Before working for myself, I would always take a personal day on opening day.   I recall doing this in Baltimore. My boss was also an Oriole fan so he understood that opening day was good for my self esteem and productivity. He would rather have me at the ballpark than sneaking a TV in my office.

My favorite opening day memory is April 7, 1970, the day that baseball returned to Milwaukee. We spent the entire month of March anticipating that the Seattle Pilots would move to Milwaukee.

The Pilots moved a few days before opening day. Within hours, the team printed tickets, a program and got the uniforms ready. I can still recall lining up with my school friends to buy tickets and joining some 37,000 at County Stadium.

Well, winter nights always make you think of opening day, or 90 days down the road.

Search This Blog