Sunday, November 26, 2017

I like NPR and PBS but.....


Image result for big bird pbs clip art images



NPR is one of my favorite radio networks.  I grew up listening to "Morning Edition" and live congressional hearings.  PBS does good TV work, such as "American Experience" and "News Hour".

However, it's time to take NPR and PBS to the market. It's time to end taxpayers' subsidies.

Years ago, PBS and NPR had a very special place in the American media landscape.  Today, it makes no sense. There are 200 stations in my cable system, including 3 CSPAN's, several local public service channels and lots of others.  Talk radio provides ample political coverage.

Small towns are served by cable systems, too.  Also, people have satellite dishes. PBS programming could easily be diverted into any of these channels.

According to a report I read years ago, "The News Hour" has millions of viewers. Therefore, it won't have any trouble finding a commercial network to pick up its broadcast. No one is going to give up millions of loyal viewers. ("The News Hour" is one of my daily habits)


Sorry Big Bird but the subsidy has to end!



Search This Blog