Friday, September 08, 2017

1974: The Nixon pardon many years later



image

It was President Ford’s biggest and most courageous decision.  Let’s recall the events of September 8, 1974:
“……President Gerald Ford, who assumed office on the heels of President Richard M. Nixon‘s resignation, pardons his predecessor for his involvement in the Watergate scandal.”
As I recall, it happened on a Sunday morning.   I was leaving mass and headed home to have lunch with my parents when I heard the flash on the radio.  
My parents and I saw the TV coverage as we ate lunch.  My father’s initial reaction was that it made sense but it would be politically difficult with mid-terms 2 months away.   He was prophetic because the Democrats pounded on the pardon and scored big.

President Ford won in the end.  Years later, the JFK Library Foundation presented him its “2001 Profile in Courage Award.”  The award celebrated the fact that President Ford put country over his political ambitions.    

And he did.

We remember that kind of presidential leadership today.  


President Ford left politics in 1977 and died in 2006.  The pardon looks better and better with age, and so does the 30-month “accidental” Ford presidency.
P.S. You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.



Tags: INSERT TAGS To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

FOLLOW MY BLOG

LISTEN TO OUR RECENT SHOWS

Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

FACEBOOK

Search This Blog