Saturday, January 28, 2017

Remembering Jose Marti (1853-95)

Jose Marti was born on a day like this in 1853.  He died in 1895 during a confrontation with Spanish troops in the long and very costly Cuban War of Independence.


I used to see a picture of Jose Marti every Sunday when I visited my my parents home.  My late father has a pre-Castro peso bill framed on the wall.  It was nostalgia and a reminder that the pre-Castro peso actually had the same value as a dollar

Marti's picture is part of our family pictures on the wall.  It is there between our First Communion photos and other souvenirs of Cuba.  My guess is that most Cuban families have a picture of Marti on their walls too. 

My parents also had a Marti quote on their wall:
"*Nunca son más bellas las playas del destierro que cuando se les dice adiós.""
We chatted with Jorge Ponce, a Cuban American who lives in the East Coast, and Alfredo Cespero from Miami.   They joined me for a discussion of Jose Marti's life and what it means for those of us who grew up in the US.  


Enjoy the show:


Listen to internet radio with Silvio Canto Jr on Blog Talk Radio

Tags: Jose Marti, 1853-95  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

FOLLOW MY BLOG

LISTEN TO OUR RECENT SHOWS

Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

FACEBOOK

Search This Blog