Sunday, December 25, 2016

Apollo 8 and memories from Christmas 1968



Like most teenagers, I used to walk to school. I don't remember how far James Madison was from our home. But I walked everyday!

Every morning, I grabbed my books, a little radio and headed to school. Sometimes, I wore a coat because it was freezing cold in Milwaukee.

I don't remember how long it took, maybe 20 minutes.

It was long enough to hear quite a few good songs and the news on the hour.

1968 was actually a very tough year for everyone. There were riots all over the world, from Paris to Detroit. It was a tough summer.

Yet, 1968 ended with a bit of good news:

Apollo 8 went around the moon and gave us the most memorable moment of 1968.

It's hard to beat this one.

James Lovell was on this mission and would also be part of Apollo 13 a couple of years later.

I can still remember Christmas 1968 and listening to the 3 astronauts read from Genesis somewhere around the moon.

It was one of those moments that will live with me forever!

video


Overall, we can say this about 1968: great music, Apollo 8 and lots of student-police confrontations.

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

FOLLOW MY BLOG

LISTEN TO OUR RECENT SHOWS

Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

FACEBOOK

Search This Blog