40 years ago, we had just completed another surprising election. Governor Jimmy Carter of Georgia defeated President Gerald Ford in a fairly close election: 297 to 240 Electoral votes. The popular vote was 50.1% to 48%.
On the radio, this was the Top 10 at WABC New York:
1. Disco Duck, Part 1 -
Rick Dees & his Cast of Idiots (RSO)
2. If You Leave Me Now - Chicago (Columbia)
3. Fernando - ABBA (Atlantic)
4. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald -
Gordon Lightfoot (Reprise)
5. Rock'n Me - The Steve Miller Band (Capitol)
6. Whispering/Cherchez la Femme/Se Si Bon -
Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (RCA) --
7. Tonight's the Night - Rod Stewart (Warner Brothers)
8. The Rubberband Man - The Spinners (Atlantic)
9. Just to Be Close to You - The Commodores (Motown)
10. Love So Right - The Bee Gees (RSO)
"Disco duck" became one of the big novelty hits of all time. It was perfect for the time, a nation in the middle of a stressful election looking for a little fun!
Tags: Top 10 WABC New York To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!