Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Sudden death hockey" is better than "penalty kicks" soccer!


Before I start getting e-mails from soccer fans, let me say that I respect the game and admire the players.  I am not against soccer.  I am against deciding title games with penalty kicks.

FIFA should take a look at game 1 of the NHL Stanley Cup finals.  The Chicago Black Hawks defeated the Boston Bruins in triple overtime:

"Shaw skated in front of the goal at the right time, deflecting Dave Bolland's tip into the net for the winning score in the Chicago Blackhawks' 4-3 victory over the Boston Bruins in the fifth-longest game in the history of the Stanley Cup."

How would you rather decide a title?  on the field or penalty kicks?  I would rather have players decide the game not flipping a coin with penalty kicks.

FIFA will reply that the players are tired and you have to end the game.  Weren't the NHL players tired after literally playing a triple overtime game?  By the way, triple overtime is like playing two full games.

My memo to FIFA is to reconsider overtime rules, such as relaxing substitutions so that "fresh legs" can move the ball.  

My second memo is to end "penalty kicks".  How can a world title be decided by "flipping a coin"?   

Again, watch the Boston vs Chicago game:






Tags: 2013 Stanley Cup Finals  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog