Sunday, February 03, 2013

Karen Carpenter died 30 years ago

It's hard to believe but Karen Carpenter died 30 years ago this month.  It was one of those "shock moments" when I heard that she died.  It was hard to believe.  It was even worse when I heard that her death was related to anorexia.  What a tragic story!

Over the years, we've continued to enjoy The Carpenters and their amazing sound.  Karen had one of the most incredible voices ever in pop music history.

Rolling Stone ranks Karen #94 in their list of the 100 greatest singers.  They describe it this way:  

"Impossibly lush and almost shockingly intimate, Carpenter's performances were a new kind of torch singing, built on understatement and tiny details of inflection that made even the sappiest songs sound like she was staring directly into your eyes."

I would rate her a lot higher than # 94.  I think that she is up there with the very best.  Who else had a better voice?  Who else could sing a song like Karen Carpenter?

Click here for the video of "I can dream can't I":


   
"As we eye The blue horizon's bend
Earth and sky Appear to meet and end
But it's merely an illusion
Like your heart and mine
There is no sweet conclusion

I can see No matter how near you'll be
You'll never belong to me
But I can dream Can't I
Can't I pretend That I'm locked in the bend
Of your embrace For dreams
Are just like wine, And I am drunk With mine

I'm aware My heart is a sad affair
There's much disillusion there
But I can dream Can't I

Can't I adore you Although we are oceans apart
I can't make you open your heart But I can dream
Can't I
Can't I adore you Although we are oceans apart
I can't make you open your heart
But I can dream Can't I ...."


 


Tags: Karen Carpenter died 30 years ago  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

MY BOOK: CUBANOS IN WISCONSIN

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

Search This Blog

Loading...