Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Remembering Herb Reed and the amazing Platters


We learned yesterday that Herb Reed passed away.  He was the last surviving member of The Platters, one of the greatest American vocal groups of the 20th century:

"Reed sang bass on the group's four No. 1 hits, including "The Great Pretender," ''My Prayer," ''Twilight Time" and "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."

The Platters were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990 and the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 1998. Their recordings are in the Grammy Hall of Fame."

The Platters were a bit before my time but great music is great music.  They recorded some fantastic songs.  They had a wonderful and unique style.   The Platters were classy and elegant, a couple of qualities missing from a lot of today's pop music.

Click here for "To each his own" & "My prayer":


"A rose must remain with the sun and the rain
Or its lovely promise won't come true
To each his own, to each his own
And my own is you

What good is a song if the words just don't belong?

And a dream must be a dream for two
No good alone, to each his own
For me there's you

If a flame is to grow there must be a glow

To open each door there's a key
I need you, I know, I can't let you go
Your touch means too much to me

Two lips must insist on two more to be kissed

Or they'll never know what love can do
To each his own, I've found my own
One and only you

If a flame is to grow there must be a glow

To open each door there's a key
I need you, I know, I can't let you go
Your touch means too much to me.....


 "When the twilight is gone and no songbirds are singing
When the twilight is gone you come into my heart
And here in my heart you will stay while I pray
My prayer is to linger with you
At the end of the day in a dream that's divine
My prayer is a rapture in bloom
With the world far away and your lips close to mine
Tonight while our hearts are aglow
Oh tell me the words that I'm longing to know
My prayer and the answer you give
May they still be the same for as long as we live
That you'll always be there at the end of my prayer..."



Tags: Remembering Herb Reed and the amazing Platters  To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!

Search This Blog