U.S. Hispanics prioritize immigration, healthcare, and unemployment to equal degrees, according to a new USA Today/Gallup poll asking about the importance of six national policy issues.
Twenty percent of Hispanics each mention one of the top three issues as mattering most to them, while 17% name economic growth, 11% name the gap between the rich and poor, and 7% name the federal budget deficit.
Hispanic registered voters, however, put healthcare and all economic issues before immigration, which 12% name as their most important issue.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Calling Jorge Ramos: Hispanics Are More Interested in the Economy Than in Immigration
This article was printed today at The American Thinker.
Am I the only Hispanic who is a bit confused with the disproportionate amount of the time the Spanish-speaking media devotes to immigration?
Watching Jorge Ramos's Sunday program leads you to think that Hispanics are talking immigration 24/7. His recent interview with Senator Rubio was all about immigration. At one point, he complained that Sen. Rubio does not defend "undocumented" workers.
I wonder if someone has told Jorge Ramos that "Hispanics" have 11% unemployment in the U.S., or that there are thousands of Hispanic young soldiers in Afghanistan.
This week, we got more evidence that Hispanics care a lot more about the economy than immigration:
These findings make a lot sense to those of us who talk to Hispanics every day. Even illegal immigrants are disgusted with the Obama economy and going home as a consequence. I had an illegal immigrant say to me the other day that Obama has been a disaster -- i.e., no immigration reform, and a lousy economy!
Here is the bottom line: most Hispanics see themselves as Americans. They have the same concerns that all of us do. They also share a respect for the rule of law.
What about all of those polls that show that Pres. BO leads Gov. Romney among Hispanics?
Let me go on record and say that I am very skeptical about these numbers -- especially the size of the Obama advantage.
First, elections are about turnout, and Hispanics usually don't. (Charlie Cook makes this point: "Latino voters’ turnout appears problematic.")
Second, Hispanics are thinking about the economy, and Obama has nothing to say to them about that topic.
Third, the aforementioned Gallup poll lists the federal deficit as another major concern. Pres. Obama does not have anything to say on that topic, either.
Save this one and check it out on the Wednesday after the election. My prediction is that this is the year that Hispanics show up to vote about the economy rather than immigration. This is the year that we finally put to rest the idea that Hispanics are talking about immigration 24/7.
Again, calling Jorge Ramos. Can someone change the coffee that he drinks on Sunday mornings?
Click our recent shows:
Tags: Calling Jorge Ramos To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the My View by Silvio Canto, Jr. Thanks!
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 11:01 AM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- December (37)
- November (87)
- October (108)
- September (87)
- August (79)
- July (62)
- June (70)
- May (71)
- April (60)
- March (43)
- February (46)
- January (55)
- December (40)
- November (35)
- October (47)
- September (35)
- August (33)
- July (43)
- Pres BO was in shock when we water-boarded 3 terro...
- It's a tax and let Pres BO & Dems defend that now!...
- Pres BO is just playing politics with Hispanics an...
- Remembering The Berlin Airlift and presidential le...
- Venezuela? Pres BO is acting more and more like Hu...
- Calling Jorge Ramos: Hispanics Are More Interested...
- The Supreme Court upholds the key provision of the...
- The problem with Fast & Furious is that a bunch of...
- Happy birthday: Robert Jaggers is 90 years old
- Dear Brides & Grooms: Cancel your honeymoon and se...
- Dear President Calderon: Mexico would benefit from...
- First weekend of summer memories: Songs and watch...
- Pres BO has actually lost support since he went ar...
- Stand up and fight against Pres BO's war against C...
- The Beach Boys must be pretty good if George Will ...
- Pres BO goes into "fast & furious" mode to keep th...
- Governing by presidential decree should scare the ...
- The first day of summer and happy 70th birthday to...
- The Hispanic "love affair" with Pres BO is more of...
- Romney should talk to Hispanics about jobs, public...
- This is not about the young "dreamers"......this i...
- Happy # 70 for Paul McCartney
- Happy Fathers Day 2012
- Dear Pres BO: Where are the 800,000 "dreamers" go...
- Why do we need a constitution? We have Barack "Hu...
- A very weak Pres BO allows Russia made helicopters...
- Amnesty by executive order & pathetic pandering in...
- Mid-June surprises and disappointments with the Ra...
- The Dixie Cups and a song that everybody loves
- Wouldn't you spank your kid if he was whining like...
- The "BO coalition" is cracking up because it was a...
- Some thoughts about that Mexican presidential elec...
- It would help if a presidential candidate in Mexic...
- Europe needs a Gov Walker and Wisconsin's voters
- "Donde estan"? Where are all of those Hispanic vot...
- Pres BO needs plumbers because the "leaking" is ou...
- The anti-Bush is too much like Bush for a lot of d...
- Remembering "Respect" by Aretha Franklin
- Pres BO looks lost and overwhelmed by the job
- Wisconsin will be the beginning of the end for pub...
- It is a shame that many Dems are covering AG Holde...
- Pres Reagan and the D-Day speech that every kid sh...
- Some thoughts on the Wisconsin recall
- Remembering Herb Reed and the amazing Platters
- Why isn't Pres Calderon of Mexico screaming about ...
- Twilight Zone: Mariela "SI" but Walesa "NO"
- "Hispanos" hit very hard by today's economic numbe...
- What a great ad to mock Pres BO and the lefty "Hol...
- Is angry Maureen about to dump BO?
- Happy # 45 to Sgt Pepper
- Friday's bad economic news: Is anybody still drin...
- Dear Mariela: Your family is the mafia NOT the Cub...
- The "war on women" theme has completely backfired ...
- May (58)
- April (58)
- March (54)
- February (53)
- January (64)
- December (66)
- November (47)
- October (64)
- September (75)
- August (70)
- July (83)
- June (83)
- May (85)
- April (74)
- March (73)
- February (63)
- January (74)
- December (82)
- November (70)
- October (67)
- September (58)
- August (72)
- July (92)
- June (76)
- May (69)
- April (67)
- March (61)
- February (56)
- January (99)
- December (120)
- November (89)
- October (97)
- September (109)
- August (115)
- July (115)
- June (121)
- May (121)
- April (112)
- March (127)
- February (107)
- January (131)
- December (116)
- November (98)
- October (107)
- September (90)
- August (104)
- July (137)
- June (131)
- May (129)
- April (96)
- March (84)
- February (95)
- January (85)
- December (103)
- November (108)
- October (94)
- September (85)
- August (70)
- July (90)
- June (84)
- May (101)
- April (111)
- March (109)
- February (98)
- January (105)
- December (120)
- November (109)
- October (142)
- September (120)
- August (109)
- July (78)
- June (63)
- May (45)
- April (40)
- March (72)
- February (81)
- January (66)
- December (82)
- November (46)
- October (33)
- September (39)
- August (42)
- July (32)
- June (30)
- May (28)
- April (9)
- March (24)
- February (18)
- January (17)