Thursday, July 07, 2016

Was Bob Lind the biggest "one hit wonder" ever?


With all due respect to Bob Lind and his fans, he may be the biggest one-hit wonder of all time.

Who else can you think of? What other pop artist released such a wonderful song and then never had a follow up hit?

"Precious and few" by Climax may be a close second.

Back in school days, I had an English Literature teacher named Miss Marcus who had recently started her teaching career.  She told me that "Elusive Butterfly" was one of the best examples of pop poetry.  She was right and I have always loved this song.

It is one of my favorite 45s! 

According to songfacts, the "narrator sees himself as a butterfly hunter. He is looking for romance, but he finds it as elusive as butterflies are to capture."

This is Bob Lind's "Elusive Butterfly" and those beautiful lyrics:



ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY

"You might wake up some mornin'
To the sound of something moving
past your window in the wind
And if you're quick enough to rise
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow

Out on the new horizon

You may see the floating motion of a distant pair of wings

And if the sleep has left your ears

You might hear footsteps running through an open meadow

Don't be concerned,     
it will not harm you
It's only me pursuing somethin' I'm not sure of
Across my dreams with nets of wonder
I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love

You might have heard my footsteps

Echo softly in the distance through the canyons of your mind

I might have even called your name

As I ran searching after something to believe in

You might have seen me runnin'
Through the long-abandoned
ruins of the dreams you left behind
If you remember something there

That glided past you followed close by heavy breathin'

Don't be concerned, it will not harm you
It's only me pursuing somethin'
I'm not sure of
Across my dreams with nets of wonder

I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love
Across my dreams with nets of wonder

I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love"

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

FOLLOW MY BLOG

LISTEN TO OUR RECENT SHOWS

Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

FACEBOOK

Search This Blog