Saturday, December 19, 2009

Looking back at The Bee Gees, cont


Over the next few months, we will look back at The Bee Gees' 50th anniversary in 2010.

We will feature some of their big hits and some of my personal favorites!

According to Billboard, there were two special releases related to the special anniversary:

""Mythology" is a four-disc box set curated and produced by surviving Bee Gees Barry and Robin Gibb that will dedicate one disc each to the three brothers in the group, including the late Maurice Gibb, and one to their late younger brother Andy Gibb.

Maurice's wife and three children chose the tracks for his disc, while Andy's daughter Peta chose the 19 songs for his section of the package.

Barry Gibb notes that the 81 selections represent "pretty much our personal favorites," and Robin and Maurice's discs will each feature solo tracks as well as Bee Gees songs.

Barry's disc, meanwhile, is loaded up with hits such as "Jive Talkin'," "Stayin' Alive," "Night Fever," "Spirits (Having Flown)," "More Than a Woman" an "Tragedy."

The accompanying booklet includes family photos and tributes from Elton John, Brian Wilson, Graham Nash, George Martin and Robert Stigwood, the Bee Gees' longtime manager and label boss.

Coming out the same day is "The Ultimate Bee Gees: The 50th Anniversary Collection," a more modest two-disc, 39-track set that closes with a live medley of songs the trio wrote for others -- including "Islands in the Stream," "Heartbreaker," "Guilty," "Immortality" and the theme song for "Grease."

A deluxe edition of "The Ultimate Bee Gees" will come with a DVD featuring videos and TV appearances, many unreleased, from throughout the group's career."

It should be fun!

The brothers started singing in 1960 and eventually recorded some songs in 1964-65!

Barry was 18 and the twins (Robin and Maurice) were only 16 when they recorded "In the morning (Morning of my life)".

Eventually, it was re-recorded for "Melody", a very popular 1971 movie about a couple of kids in the UK.

Melody's soundtrack also includes other Bee Gees' hits, such as 'Melody Fair"!

This is a live version of the song circa 1973! Let's file this song under "my very favorites" file:

video

"In the morning when the moon is at it's rest,
You will find me at the time I love the best
Watching rainbows play on sunlight;
Pools of water iced from cold night,
in the morning.
Tis the morning of my life.
In the daytime I will meet you as before.
You will find me waiting by the ocean floor,
Building castles in the shifting sands
In a world that no one understands,
In the morning.
Tis the morning of my life,
In the morning of my life the
Minutes take so long to drift away
Please be patient with your life
It's only morning and you're still to live your day
In the evning I will fly you to the moon
To the top right hand corner of
The ceiling in my room
Where wll stay until the sun shines
Another day to swing on clothes lines
May I be yawning
It is the morning of my life
It is the morning of my life
In the morning
In the morning
In the morning"

Our second selection is "Follow the wind", a song from their first album released in Australia in 1965:

video

"I'm so weary from holding this load
But it's only, love for you, that I walk this lonely road
I must follow the wind, follow the wind
And the wind will take me hold before the cold
Ev'ry star I have counted Each flower I have seen
But the place I'm going, there's no grass as green
I must follow the wind, follow the wind
And the wind will take me home where I can dream
In the hour I am lonely, you're love will be mine
I will stay in your arms dear, until comes the time
I must be on my way for my home is anywhere
I have no time to stay, I have no time to care
I must follow the wind, follow the wind
As the wind gently blows in my hair
I must follow the wind, follow the wind
As the wind gently blows in my hair
I must follow the wind , follow the wind
As the wind gently blows in my hair"


PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

MY BOOK: CUBANOS IN WISCONSIN

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

Search This Blog

Loading...