Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Bee Gees and more very early hits

Over the next few months, we will be looking back at the 50th anniversary of The Bee Gees. The brothers started singing professionally in 1960 when Barry was 14 and his twin brothers were 11.

In these first posts, we are recalling those very early songs from The Bee Gees.

As we've mentioned in other posts, these tunes were recorded when the brothers were teens and trying to establish themselves as a pop group.

These songs were never heard outside of Australia until ATCO released two LP's of the early material in 1969. The LPs were called "Rare, precious and beautiful"!

Nevertheless, they were very early signals of their incredible harmonies and songwriting potential.

It was these songs, and others, that persuaded Robert Stigwood to give the brothers an international recording contract in London 1967.

The rest is musical history......Barry was 19 and his brothers were 16 when they had their first international hit!

This is "All of my life", an arrangement heavily influenced by The Beatles.

Barry and Robin share the lead vocals.

As always, Maurice was in the man in the middle and closing those brilliant 3-part harmonies:

video

"There are times when I should go away
to think of you and I
For it isn't only now
I need your love All of my life, all of my life
In the night time when I lie awake
and think of you in my heart
For it isn't only now, I need your kiss All of my life, all of my life
Oh wouldn't you believe me if I told you that I love you,
and I do
Ev'ryone believes me when I tell them
Why don't you, why don't you
When I think of things that ought to be
and I feel your hand in mine
Yes it isn't only now,
I need your love
All of my life, all of my life
La......All of my life, all of my life
Oh wouldn't you believe if I told you
that I love you, and I do
Ev'ryone believes me when I tell them
Why don't you, why don't you
When I think of things that ought to be
and I feel your hand in mine
Yes it isn't only now, I need your love
All of my life, all of my life"







PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

MY BOOK: CUBANOS IN WISCONSIN

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

BLOG ARCHIVE

Search This Blog

Loading...