Sunday, December 27, 2009

2009 and the passing of Mary Travers


Mary Travers passed away in 2009.

She was one of my favorite voices.

She was the Mary in Peter, Paul and Mary.

Let's remember some of the PP&M songs!

"Early morning rain"




"In the early morning rain,
with a dollar in my hand

With an aching in my heart
and my pockets full of sand

I'm a long way from home,
and I miss my loved one so

In the early morning rain with no place to go

Out on runway number nine,
big 707 set to go

But I'm out here on the grass where the pavement never grows

Well the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast

There she goes my friend, o she's rolling now at last

Here the mighty engines roar,
see the silver bird on high

She's away and westward bound,
for high above the clouds she'll fly

Where the early rain don't fall
and the sun always shines

She'll be flying o'er my home in about three hours time
This old airport's got me down, it's no earthly use to me
Cause I'm stuck here on the ground, cold and drunk as I might be

You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train

So I'd best be on my way
in the early morning rain "


"Hangman"




"Slack your rope hangman, slack it for a while
I think I see my father comin' ridin' many a mile

Father have you brought me hope
or have you paid my fee

Or have you come to see me hangin'
from the gallows tree?
I have not brought you hope,
I have not paid your fee

Yes I have come to see you hangin' from the gallows tree.
Slack your rope hangman,
slack it for a while
I think I see my mother comin' ridin' many a mile
Mother have you brought me hope or have you paid my fee
Or have you come to see me hangin' from the gallows tree?

I have not brought you hope,
I have not paid your fee

Yes I have come to see you hangin' from the gallows tree.
Slack your rope hangman,
slack it for a while

I think I see my brother comin' ridin' many a mile
Brother have you brought me hope or have you paid my fee
Or have you come to see me hangin' from the gallows tree?
I have not brought you hope,
I have not paid your fee

Yes I have come to see you hangin' from the gallows tree.

Slack your rope hangman, slack it for a while

I think I see my true love comin' riding' many a mile

True love have you brought me hope or have you paid my fee

Or have you come to see me hangin' from the gallows tree?

Yes I have brought you hope, yes I have paid your fee

For I've not come to see you hangin' from the gallows tree. "


"Leaving on a jet plane", along with John Denver who wrote the song:




"Follow me", another John Denver song:




"
It's by far the hardest thing I've ever-done,
To be so in love with you and so alone.

Follow me where I go, what I do and who I know,

Make it part of you to be a part of me.

Follow me up and down, all the way all around.

Take my hand and I will follow you.

It's long by on my mind,
you know it's been a long, long time.
I'll try to find the way that I can make you understand
The way I feel about you and just how much I need you
To be there where I can talk to you when there's no one else round.

Follow me where I go, what I do and who I know,

Make it part of you to be a part of me.
Follow me up and down, all the way all around.
Take my hand and I will follow you.

You see, I'd like to share my life with you and show you things I've seen, places where I'm going to,

Places where I've been;

To have you there beside me and never be alone
and all the time that you're with me, then we will be at home.

Follow me where I go, what I do and who I know,
Make it part of you to be a part of me.

Follow me up and down, all the way around,

Take my hand and I will follow you!"




PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

MY BOOK: CUBANOS IN WISCONSIN

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

Search This Blog

Loading...