Monday, March 30, 2009
What happened to all of the love?
"Where is the love" was a popular 1970's tune.
We ask today: Where is all that love that Obama's election was supposed to create toward the US?
We posted this last summer: They cheered every line except sending troops to Afghanistan!
Last summer, candidate BO toured Europe and was greeted by "movie star" crowds.
They cheered every line except the one about sending troops to Afghanistan.
Today, the "Euros" are not exactly in love with all of those Obama deficits!
In fact, The Economist just posted a very tough editorial called Learning the hard way:
"Take the G20 meeting in London, to which he will head at the end of next week.
The most important task for this would-be institution is to set itself firmly against protectionism at a time when most of its members are engaged in a game of creeping beggar-thy-neighbour.
Yet how can Mr Obama lead the fight when he has just pandered to America’s unions by sparking a minor trade war with Mexico?
And how can he set a new course for NATO at its 60th-anniversary summit a few days later if he is appeasing his party with talk of leaving Afghanistan?"
Mona Charen has a good post, too:
"Secretary of State Clinton presented a cutesy “reset” button to the Russian ambassador.
But apparently the State Department had gotten the Russian word wrong. Instead of “reset” it said “overcharge.” (Rebooting America’s Global Image Not Going Well)
According to news reports, Obama Faces Cold Reception in Europe!
Again, the Euros read the "stimulus" plan! They don't like it! This is the one that Pres BO and the Dems didn't read but signed into law anyway.
They specially don't like the protectionist smell of the stimulus bill!
Even The NY Times, the voice of the American left, is reporting this: Obama Will Face a Defiant World on Foreign Visit! (I thought that once we elected Obama people were going to love us!)
"The point is: the rest of the world will not follow the U.S. just because a charming American president smiles and compliments everyone in his path.
This is not the first indication that Obama’s charm has its limitations.
He is having a hard time getting Europe to pledge more troops to Afghanistan and convincing the Continent to take in Guantanamo Bay detainees.
This is to say nothing of his depressing failure to flatter hostile nations into cooperating with us."
To be fair, US presidents always face hostile crowds.
Nevertheless, it's surprising to see how Europe is falling out of love with Obama.
It reminds of something that Gerard Baker of the UK wrote in 2007: Oh George, what will we do when you’re gone?
They can't blame Pres Bush anymore.
The Euros are waking up and discovering a couple of things about their beloved Obama:
1) He is the most protectionist president in US history. Just ask the Mexicans!
2) He will continue Pres Bush's program in Iraq. The US will leave 50,000 troops permanently there.
3) He will send a major military force into Afghanistan. Pres BO is expecting the Euros to do their part! (Where is the love, where are the troops)
They can't blame Pres Bush anymore.
They can't use Pres Bush as their excuse for doing nothing or refusing to face reality!
P.S. I couldn't find a video of the original version by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway.
This is Dana singing "Where is the love":
"Where is the love
You said you'd give to me soon as you were free
will it ever be
Where is the love?
You told me that you didn't love her,
and you were gonna say goodbye
but if you really didn't mean it,
why did you have to lie?
Where is the love,
you said was mine all mine,
till the end of time
was it just a lie where is the love
If you had had a sudden change of heart
I wish that you would tell me
so don't leave me hangin on the promises
you've got to let me know
Oh how I wish I never met you
I guess it must have been my fate
to fall in love with someone else's love
all I can do is wait
Where is the love"
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- December (13)
- November (87)
- October (108)
- September (87)
- August (79)
- July (62)
- June (70)
- May (71)
- April (60)
- March (43)
- February (46)
- January (55)
- December (40)
- November (35)
- October (47)
- September (35)
- August (33)
- July (43)
- June (53)
- May (58)
- April (58)
- March (54)
- February (53)
- January (64)
- December (66)
- November (47)
- October (64)
- September (75)
- August (70)
- July (83)
- June (83)
- May (85)
- April (74)
- March (73)
- February (63)
- January (74)
- December (82)
- November (70)
- October (67)
- September (58)
- August (72)
- July (92)
- June (76)
- May (69)
- April (67)
- March (61)
- February (56)
- January (99)
- December (120)
- November (89)
- October (97)
- September (109)
- August (115)
- July (115)
- June (121)
- May (121)
- April (112)
- Some words of wisdom from Dr Sowell
- Just in case you didn't think that The NY Times "w...
- 4,257 posts! We passed Pete Rose!
- What happened to all of the love?
- We need to seal the border!
- VP Biden to PM Rod-Zap: Thanks for the troops in I...
- Sec Clinton to Mexico: Who painted your virgin?
- It's spring! So let's go to the Ft Worth Botanic ...
- We support Pres BO in Afghanistan! Will the Dems ...
- "The Great Communicator" and his sense of humor!
- Happy birthday to Diana Ross
- Thurs show: Mexico, the deficits and abortion!
- Blaming Bush for BO's deficits is not working!
- Update on "Hope and change" and the "screamers"
- Dear Mexicans: Don't listen to what they say, watc...
- Dear Sec Clinton: Don't smile and stab Mexico in t...
- Yes, I want Pres BO to fail. Why would I want thi...
- Milwood and Padilla are the key to the 2009 season...
- Your Tuesday morning humor will make you laugh and...
- President Abortion is off and running!
- Are these the same people who used to "preach" abo...
- Gov Perry wants troops on the border and he is rig...
- A very bad week for Pres BO!
- Pres BO and the Dems should "abide by or get out" ...
- Happy birthday to Neil Sedaka, great performer and...
- Had not heard "Solitaire" in a long time!
- Deficits mean that Pres BO's expansion of governme...
- Did "Hope and change" start a trade war over 97 Me...
- Your weekend marriage counseling videos!
- Pres BO and the Dems love our allies, unless they ...
- 6 years later: The amazing story of Iraq!
- Shouldn't Pres BO tell us about the "expansion" of...
- Dear Pres BO: How is that trade war with Mexico go...
- Thursday's show: Brandi Chambless talks about the ...
- Will Pres BO & Sen Dodd give up their AIG money?
- Dear Pres BO: Listen to Coach K!
- Dear Pres BO: Alexander Hamilton would have read ...
- AIG bonus? Pres BO & Dems need to come clean and ...
- We love it! Mexico gives Pelosi a taste of her ow...
- Mexico has reasons to be very concerned about Pres...
- Speaker Pelosi is out of line with her immigration...
- Remember the stimulus bill?
- What happens when you don't read a bill? You get ...
- Obama White House: Too much Limbaugh rather than s...
- Pres Obama should listen to Gov Romney on the AIG ...
- And you want these guys running health care?
- The Dems show no respect for Mexico and/or NAFTA!
- Team USA got me excited about the WBC!
- A trade war with Mexico?
- When will Pres Obama stop all of the "phony" AIG o...
- Tuesday's show: A chat with Roger Mailhot about US...
- We remember Nat King Cole!
- Did Sec Geithner know about the AIG bonuses?
- Mexico is right about the trucks!
- Why would Raul Castro allow Russian planes to land...
- A word about Ron Silver
- Your Monday night humor: It's funny but it's not r...
- Great to see Reggie Smith, batting coach Team USA
- Go Aggies in The March Madness
- And on the 53rd day, he said that the economy was ...
- President Teleprompter!
- Lula to Obama: Free trade, free trade and free tr...
- Rain and more songs about rain!
- Keep GITMO open!
- Some amazing numbers about the war in Mexico!
- Trust me: We are not the only ones concerned about...
- A word about Mike Modano
- Rain!!! My umbrella and listening to The Cowsills!...
- Thursday's show: A conversation with Brandi Chambl...
- Romney stands out
- Obama broke a campaign promise about "earmarks" an...
- If you are coming to Dallas....bring an umbrella!
- How political is the BO White House?
- Will Pres Obama ever put a team together?
- Tuesday's show: A chat with Allan Wall about Mexic...
- Bring Guy back to Dallas!
- A "Mexico boycott" is a very bad idea (for both of...
- The Twilight Zone: The markets are tanking, Geithn...
- Obama's war on those who pay taxes!
- What's all of this about Pres BO's hair turning wh...
- "Tax the rich" will kill jobs not rich people!
- The Limbaugh Distraction # 3: Where was the outrag...
- Congratulations to ESPN for the Joe DiMaggio tribu...
- The great Limbaugh distraction is all about changi...
- Earth to "yes we can" screamers!
- Gingrich has the right idea
- BO is not ready (and we are not the only ones sayi...
- Pres BO's choice: Help poor black kids or carry th...
- March 1969 and lots of CCR on the radio!
- Obama doesn't have a clue of how difficult this jo...
- Your weekend reading: Krauthammer looks into "hope...
- The Stars really miss Morrow!
- Cheers for Texas A&M baseball!
- Andruw Jones could be a huge addition to the Range...
- Why was Pres Obama so rude to PM Brown?
- Pres BO needs to get over Limbaugh and start gover...
- Are markets scared of Obama?
- Dear Pres BO: Stop pretending!
- Thursday's show: A chat with Rick Moran!
- Get well Barbara Bush!
- Remembering Patsy Cline
- The Obama White House vs a private citizen
- BDS: "The Bush Memos" is the latest episode!
- Why $900 million for Hamas? Give it to Mexico!
- On Iran and Russia, Pres BO is projecting weakness...
- Red state Dems freaking out over Pres BO's spendin...
- Wed morning humor: Rangel and Geithner preaching a...
- How can Pres BO sign this "porky bill"?
- Attacking Limbaugh is better than talking about Ob...
- The stock market is like Dickens' "Ghost of Christ...
- Your Tuesday night humor: The Obama administration...
- Another Dem with tax problems?
- Paul Harvey and "The Philadelphia Story"
- The markets are dropping! Geither is MIA! So Obam...
- BO's bad decision for Mexico!
- Monday morning humor: Snow and the global warming ...
- Hug a "yes we can screamer" because BO is going to...
- We like Canada's PM Harper!
- Pres Hysteria wants you to think that it's 1933......
- BO's deficits!
- Obama is "class warfare"
- Romney wins the CPAC straw poll
- Make sure you catch Rush Limbaugh's speech!
- Another word on Pres Obama and Iraq!
- When is Pres Obama going to say something about Me...
- I will miss Paul Harvey
- "Rubber Soul", the best Beatles' album!
- February (107)
- January (131)
- December (116)
- November (98)
- October (107)
- September (90)
- August (104)
- July (137)
- June (131)
- May (129)
- April (96)
- March (84)
- February (95)
- January (85)
- December (103)
- November (108)
- October (94)
- September (85)
- August (70)
- July (90)
- June (84)
- May (101)
- April (111)
- March (109)
- February (98)
- January (105)
- December (120)
- November (109)
- October (142)
- September (120)
- August (109)
- July (78)
- June (63)
- May (45)
- April (40)
- March (72)
- February (81)
- January (66)
- December (82)
- November (46)
- October (33)
- September (39)
- August (42)
- July (32)
- June (30)
- May (28)
- April (9)
- March (24)
- February (18)
- January (17)