Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rain and more songs about rain!


The rain is over for now. It should very nice on Sunday! We can finally put those umbrellas away!

But we recall a few more of our favorite songs about rain.

This is Peter Paul & Mary and the "Early morning rain".

We posted something last year about PP&M, my very favorite folk group ever:

video


"In the early mornin' rain with a dollar in my hand
And an aching in my heart,
and my pockets full of sand
I'm a long way from home,
and I miss my loved one so
In the early mornin' rain with no place to go.

Out on runway number nine,
big seven-o-seven set to go
But I'm out here on the grass
where the pavement never grows

Well the liquor tasted good
and the women all were fast
There she goes my friend, she's rollin' down at last.

Hear the mighty engine roar,
see the silver wing on high

She's away and westward bound
far above the clouds she'll fly

Where the mornin' rain don't fall
and the sun always shines
She'll be flyin' o're my home
in about three hours time.

This old airport's got me down,
it's no earthly good to me
Cause I'm stuck here on the ground,
Cold and drunk, as I might be.

Can't jump a jet plane
like you can a freight train
So I'd best be on my way
in the early mornin' rain.
So I'd best be on my way in the early mornin' rain."

Marianne Faithfull didn't have a lot of hits in the US, although she did enjoy success in the UK and Europe. Her biggest US hit was "As tears go by"!

She did record a very nice version of "What have they done to the rain":

video


"Just a little rain falling all around,
The grass lifts its head to the heavenly sound,
Just a little rain, just a little rain,
What have they done to the rain?

Just a little boy standing in the rain,
The gentle rain that falls for years.
And the grass is gone,
The boy disappears,
And rain keeps falling like helpless tears,
And what have they done to the rain?

Just a little breeze out of the sky,
The leaves pat their hands as the breeze blows by,
Just a little breeze with some smoke in its eye,
What have they done to the rain?

Just a little boy standing in the rain,
The gentle rain that falls for years.
And the grass is gone,
The boy disappears,
And rain keeps falling like helpless tears,
And what have they done to the rain?"


PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

MY BOOK: CUBANOS IN WISCONSIN

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

Search This Blog

Loading...