Tuesday, March 10, 2009
A "Mexico boycott" is a very bad idea (for both of us)
Our friend Allan Wall will join us on Tuesday to review the Mexico situation. We will be live at 5pm CT or you can check the radio icon to the right!
Allan is one of our favorite guests because he has a foreigner's perspective on the situation south of the border.
A couple of days ago, Allan wrote about travelling to Mexico:
"In 2008, it is estimated that 17 million, six hundred thousand (that’s 17,600,000) Americans visited Mexico, and most of them were not victims of crime.
Once again, I’m not telling anybody where to take your vacation. Go wherever you like, and wherever you can afford.
But millions of Americans do like visiting Mexico, and most of them have a great time and even want to return.
Besides, some U.S. cities aren’t too safe either.
This past year, New Orleans had the highest U.S. crime rate, with 19,000 reported criminal acts including 209 murders.
I presume nearly all the murder victims were Americans.
So more Americans died in New Orleans (one city) than in all of Mexico."
Some have advocated a "boycott".
Let's be careful about that:
1) It will hurt Mexico a lot.
After all, Mexico needs to attract foreign investment to create the kind of economy that "employs all of its people".
As we have posted before, a prosperous Mexico is the best thing that could happen to the US.
Prosperous neighbors make great friends and customers. Just look at Canada!
2) It will hurt Mexico's tourism industry.
Where are all of those hotel workers going to look for work?
Have you noticed who works in our hotels?
3) It will hurt the Mexican peso, specially in light of the US business slowdown, the drop in "remittances" and the cost of fighting the border war.
Here is my advice: Are you travelling to Mexico?
Try this: Don't drive around border towns. That's where most of the violence is! By the way, how many beaches and resorts are in border towns anyway?
Let me suggest this to the Mexican government:
It would help if Mexico stops blaming the drug war on the US.
Yes, we consume.
We are not responsible for corrupt customs officials who look the other way when "bazookas" and "shoulder guided missiles" go over the border!
This drug war is also about corruption in Mexico. You can't be indifferent to corruption for 70 years without making your institutions corrupt.
I agree with Allan.
Let's say "no" to a boycott.
Let's continue to support Pres Calderon and the brave Mexican soldiers who are fighting a tough war!
P.S. By the way, there is a lot more going on in Mexico than the border war that properly consumes our coverage.
Mexico is also being impacted by the global recession. Check out The Financial Storm Hits Mexico: Their politicians aren't doing much to staunch the bleeding By MARY ANASTASIA O'GRADY:
"The crisis is captured in the plummeting peso, which has fallen more than 30% against the dollar in the past six months."
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- December (55)
- November (87)
- October (108)
- September (87)
- August (79)
- July (62)
- June (70)
- May (71)
- April (60)
- March (43)
- February (46)
- January (55)
- December (40)
- November (35)
- October (47)
- September (35)
- August (33)
- July (43)
- June (53)
- May (58)
- April (58)
- March (54)
- February (53)
- January (64)
- December (66)
- November (47)
- October (64)
- September (75)
- August (70)
- July (83)
- June (83)
- May (85)
- April (74)
- March (73)
- February (63)
- January (74)
- December (82)
- November (70)
- October (67)
- September (58)
- August (72)
- July (92)
- June (76)
- May (69)
- April (67)
- March (61)
- February (56)
- January (99)
- December (120)
- November (89)
- October (97)
- September (109)
- August (115)
- July (115)
- June (121)
- May (121)
- April (112)
- Some words of wisdom from Dr Sowell
- Just in case you didn't think that The NY Times "w...
- 4,257 posts! We passed Pete Rose!
- What happened to all of the love?
- We need to seal the border!
- VP Biden to PM Rod-Zap: Thanks for the troops in I...
- Sec Clinton to Mexico: Who painted your virgin?
- It's spring! So let's go to the Ft Worth Botanic ...
- We support Pres BO in Afghanistan! Will the Dems ...
- "The Great Communicator" and his sense of humor!
- Happy birthday to Diana Ross
- Thurs show: Mexico, the deficits and abortion!
- Blaming Bush for BO's deficits is not working!
- Update on "Hope and change" and the "screamers"
- Dear Mexicans: Don't listen to what they say, watc...
- Dear Sec Clinton: Don't smile and stab Mexico in t...
- Yes, I want Pres BO to fail. Why would I want thi...
- Milwood and Padilla are the key to the 2009 season...
- Your Tuesday morning humor will make you laugh and...
- President Abortion is off and running!
- Are these the same people who used to "preach" abo...
- Gov Perry wants troops on the border and he is rig...
- A very bad week for Pres BO!
- Pres BO and the Dems should "abide by or get out" ...
- Happy birthday to Neil Sedaka, great performer and...
- Had not heard "Solitaire" in a long time!
- Deficits mean that Pres BO's expansion of governme...
- Did "Hope and change" start a trade war over 97 Me...
- Your weekend marriage counseling videos!
- Pres BO and the Dems love our allies, unless they ...
- 6 years later: The amazing story of Iraq!
- Shouldn't Pres BO tell us about the "expansion" of...
- Dear Pres BO: How is that trade war with Mexico go...
- Thursday's show: Brandi Chambless talks about the ...
- Will Pres BO & Sen Dodd give up their AIG money?
- Dear Pres BO: Listen to Coach K!
- Dear Pres BO: Alexander Hamilton would have read ...
- AIG bonus? Pres BO & Dems need to come clean and ...
- We love it! Mexico gives Pelosi a taste of her ow...
- Mexico has reasons to be very concerned about Pres...
- Speaker Pelosi is out of line with her immigration...
- Remember the stimulus bill?
- What happens when you don't read a bill? You get ...
- Obama White House: Too much Limbaugh rather than s...
- Pres Obama should listen to Gov Romney on the AIG ...
- And you want these guys running health care?
- The Dems show no respect for Mexico and/or NAFTA!
- Team USA got me excited about the WBC!
- A trade war with Mexico?
- When will Pres Obama stop all of the "phony" AIG o...
- Tuesday's show: A chat with Roger Mailhot about US...
- We remember Nat King Cole!
- Did Sec Geithner know about the AIG bonuses?
- Mexico is right about the trucks!
- Why would Raul Castro allow Russian planes to land...
- A word about Ron Silver
- Your Monday night humor: It's funny but it's not r...
- Great to see Reggie Smith, batting coach Team USA
- Go Aggies in The March Madness
- And on the 53rd day, he said that the economy was ...
- President Teleprompter!
- Lula to Obama: Free trade, free trade and free tr...
- Rain and more songs about rain!
- Keep GITMO open!
- Some amazing numbers about the war in Mexico!
- Trust me: We are not the only ones concerned about...
- A word about Mike Modano
- Rain!!! My umbrella and listening to The Cowsills!...
- Thursday's show: A conversation with Brandi Chambl...
- Romney stands out
- Obama broke a campaign promise about "earmarks" an...
- If you are coming to Dallas....bring an umbrella!
- How political is the BO White House?
- Will Pres Obama ever put a team together?
- Tuesday's show: A chat with Allan Wall about Mexic...
- Bring Guy back to Dallas!
- A "Mexico boycott" is a very bad idea (for both of...
- The Twilight Zone: The markets are tanking, Geithn...
- Obama's war on those who pay taxes!
- What's all of this about Pres BO's hair turning wh...
- "Tax the rich" will kill jobs not rich people!
- The Limbaugh Distraction # 3: Where was the outrag...
- Congratulations to ESPN for the Joe DiMaggio tribu...
- The great Limbaugh distraction is all about changi...
- Earth to "yes we can" screamers!
- Gingrich has the right idea
- BO is not ready (and we are not the only ones sayi...
- Pres BO's choice: Help poor black kids or carry th...
- March 1969 and lots of CCR on the radio!
- Obama doesn't have a clue of how difficult this jo...
- Your weekend reading: Krauthammer looks into "hope...
- The Stars really miss Morrow!
- Cheers for Texas A&M baseball!
- Andruw Jones could be a huge addition to the Range...
- Why was Pres Obama so rude to PM Brown?
- Pres BO needs to get over Limbaugh and start gover...
- Are markets scared of Obama?
- Dear Pres BO: Stop pretending!
- Thursday's show: A chat with Rick Moran!
- Get well Barbara Bush!
- Remembering Patsy Cline
- The Obama White House vs a private citizen
- BDS: "The Bush Memos" is the latest episode!
- Why $900 million for Hamas? Give it to Mexico!
- On Iran and Russia, Pres BO is projecting weakness...
- Red state Dems freaking out over Pres BO's spendin...
- Wed morning humor: Rangel and Geithner preaching a...
- How can Pres BO sign this "porky bill"?
- Attacking Limbaugh is better than talking about Ob...
- The stock market is like Dickens' "Ghost of Christ...
- Your Tuesday night humor: The Obama administration...
- Another Dem with tax problems?
- Paul Harvey and "The Philadelphia Story"
- The markets are dropping! Geither is MIA! So Obam...
- BO's bad decision for Mexico!
- Monday morning humor: Snow and the global warming ...
- Hug a "yes we can screamer" because BO is going to...
- We like Canada's PM Harper!
- Pres Hysteria wants you to think that it's 1933......
- BO's deficits!
- Obama is "class warfare"
- Romney wins the CPAC straw poll
- Make sure you catch Rush Limbaugh's speech!
- Another word on Pres Obama and Iraq!
- When is Pres Obama going to say something about Me...
- I will miss Paul Harvey
- "Rubber Soul", the best Beatles' album!
- February (107)
- January (131)
- December (116)
- November (98)
- October (107)
- September (90)
- August (104)
- July (137)
- June (131)
- May (129)
- April (96)
- March (84)
- February (95)
- January (85)
- December (103)
- November (108)
- October (94)
- September (85)
- August (70)
- July (90)
- June (84)
- May (101)
- April (111)
- March (109)
- February (98)
- January (105)
- December (120)
- November (109)
- October (142)
- September (120)
- August (109)
- July (78)
- June (63)
- May (45)
- April (40)
- March (72)
- February (81)
- January (66)
- December (82)
- November (46)
- October (33)
- September (39)
- August (42)
- July (32)
- June (30)
- May (28)
- April (9)
- March (24)
- February (18)
- January (17)