Sunday, November 30, 2008
"He showed real leadership at a time when the country was the most vulnerable after 9/11.
And he has managed to keep the country safe from terrorist attacks thus far."
"He has also appointed more minorities and women to high positions in the government than any other president.
Who will miss Bush?
"After all these efforts, the people who are going to miss him the most are liberals.
They will have to finally start owning responsibility for the way the country is being run.
They had successfully morphed their “Blame America First” slogan to “Blame Dubya First” and once he is out of the White House, there is only going to be a certain period of time before that goes stale."
What about all of those Europeans who despise Bush:
"Mr Bush, of course, is more lame duck than poisoned chicken. The eyes of the world are on his successor.
But I still harbour a conviction that for all their expectation of a brave new dawn, the Europeans are going to miss Mr Bush in ways that they are only beginning to understand.
They'll miss, first, having a villain in the White House.
It's a really convenient excuse to avoid doing anything yourself on pressing global concerns." (Baker)
Yes, the Euros will now have to explain to Obama why they don't want to fulfill their NATO obligations in Afghanistan. Also, the Germans will now have to explain why their cozy business ties with Iran won't change either.
The WSJ has a good editorial today called Germany Loves Iran:
"Readers may recall that Barack Obama assailed President Bush for not doing more diplomatically to contain Iran, including more vigorous sanctions.
Job one on that score for Mr. Obama would seem to be persuading his many admirers in Germany.
For much too long, our allies have put off the tough decisions by blaming "The Texas Cowboy".
Let's see what they do now! During Obama's trip to Germany, they cheered every line except the one about sending troops to Afghanistan!
What about the Bush economy:
"The U.S. annual economic growth rate has been 2.2% through this presidency, the highest of any advanced country, and the economy expanded 19% in this time, well ahead of other large economies.
The same pattern was replicated in per-capita income and spending, investment of all kinds and unemployment, which ran at half a percent below the average of the Clinton years and three full points below the Eurozone.
Until the last three months of his eight-year presidency, Bush avoided a recession." (Black)
Not a bad record at all.
As we celebrate Thanksgiving, we say thank you to a good man.
Like any other decision maker, Bush made a ton of decisions.
He got some right, specially the big ones like The War on Terror and two wonderful Supreme Court appointments.
He got some wrong. I wish that we had spent less, although the federal deficit relative to GDP (2-3%) was low by historical standards.
Of course, his critics didn't have to make decisions. They just sat in the bleachers and played the Monday morning QB.
As we know from watching football, the Monday Morning QB never throws an interception. At the same time, there aren't any Monday Morning QBs in the Hall of Fame either!
He was forced to deal with many issues unresolved for decades, such as Social Security and immigration.
He tried to fix Social Security by allowing younger workers to invest in private accounts. He was greeted with the usual "class warfare" and "they want to take your grandmother's check" garbage from Dems.
He was forced to deal with terrorism, an issue that the Clinton administration totally overlooked and came home to bite us on 9-11.
How do you know that Pres. Bush did a good job? You won't see big changes from Obama. Our friends at Power Line call it Hope and change down the road:
"John writes that, in light of Obama's staffing decisions, "it now appears that the Obama administration will represent a continuation of Bush-era policies on taxes, response to the current financial crisis, and national security policy, including Iraq."
We have spent the last two years hearing how bad Bush's policies are.
So what does the "hope and change" candidate do?
He keeps Gates as Sec of Defense and retains an economic team that looks very centrist rather than liberal.
It will be fun to sit in the bleachers and watch the Dems actually make decisions for a change!
They've been the opposition party for 28 of the last 40 years!
Let's see if they can govern as well as they've bashed Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush and Bush!
Again, we say thanks to Pres. Bush for dealing with incredibly difficult problems and keeping a very cheerful outlook.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Friday, November 28, 2008
Thursday, November 27, 2008
P.S. We also remember the craziest Cowboys game on Thanksgiving Day.
First, Dallas was hit by a freak ice and snow storm in 1993. Who ever heard of snow and ice in Dallas for Thanksgiving? We saw it in 1993!
Second, the Cowboys were confident and headed for another Super Bowl victory. They beat Buffalo the year before and would defeat them again two months later. They actually won 3 titles in 4 years!
Third, the Cowboys had 3 of the best players in NFL history--Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.
Fourth, the Cowboys also had a fellow named Leon Lett on their roster. He was a big defensive lineman. He was in the middle of two of the craziest plays in Cowboys' history.
Let Emmitt Smith, Coach Johnson and Bill Bates, veteran defensive player, tell you the story. Of course, there is always Brad Sham on the radio play by play:
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Monday, November 24, 2008
Sunday, November 23, 2008
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- Let Bevo stomp on the BCS rankings!
- A little thanks to Pres. Bush!
- There is a lot more "doom and gloom" in the media ...
- A get well greeting for Barbara Bush
- Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday! And go Cowboys a...
- Some in the left fear that Obama is Bush's 3rd ter...
- Should a former president make millions from givin...
- We are very proud of the Venezuelan opposition!
- Obama and the economic recovery
- Dem party unity is a big myth!
- Will the left and Obama have a honeymoon?
- Obama shifting again?
- Halperin is the latest media type to do CYA (cover...
- Michael Yon's latest dispatch from Iraq!
- Economic teams are like pitching coaches!
- No "California dreamin" these days
- TO and the Cowboys look great!
- What a Saturday for college football fans!
- Is "Lonely Days" really 38 years old?
- The Pres elect makes a good choice for Treasury
- CDS: The last chapter! Let's hope!
- Holder is a bad choice
- Will Obama support the DC public schools?
- The wrong mechanics!
- Breaking lots of anti-war hearts!
- Mavs and Stars are off to slow starts
- The markets are confused with Obama so far!
- Keep Sec. Gates as Sec. of Defense!
- Mitt Romney's brilliant op-ed on the auto bailout
- Is Obama ready for Clintonian conflicts of interes...
- Stevens: Once in a while, a Republican must lose!
- Hamilton was the best player story of 2008
- A couple of videos about the "yes we can" screamer...
- The incredible success in Iraq
- Michael Steele is my choice the RNC
- Some thoughts on GITMO
- Howard Kurtz does a little CYA?
- You can't bailout this mess, part 2
- You can't bailout this mess!
- Barber saves the Cowboys' season in Washington
- They don't care about elections, unless they win!
- 40 years ago.....Those were the days!
- Go Longhorns! Win the national title!
- Hillary Clinton for Sec of State?
- There was no Obama landslide
- The labor unions and Obama
- How many more scandals can DISD take?
- Let the Dems own the car industry bailout
- The bishops are right to defend the unborn
- Thursday's show: A chat with Lt. Col. Ret. Joe Rep...
- The stock market is 14% down since BO won the elec...
- What about immigration reform now?
- Put them on Chapter 11 and let the markets restruc...
- Maddon and Piniella are the obvious choices!
- Obama DS is just as stupid as Bush DS!
- Tuesday's show: A little baseball (and NFL footbal...
- Happy Veterans' Day and remembering the vets from ...
- Say happy birthday to a Marine!
- The stock market is listening to Obama!
- We like Romney in 2012
- A "reality check" for the "yes we can" screamers i...
- JR and Dallas celebrate 30 years!
- 2008: No huge turnout after all!
- Election day was a good day for traditional marria...
- Our favorite Ranger finally wins a gold glove!
- A song about Sara (not the governor!)
- "For no one", a wonderful song by The Beatles
- Remembering "South Dakota Morning"
- The media: From the tank to CYA?
- Obama has to live up to the character that he crea...
- What the US can learn from Texas?
- Why the attacks on Gov Palin?
- Foreign policy, not the economy, will define the O...
- How BO scared investors during the campaign!
- How should we treat Pres Obama?
- The media was in the tank all the way to the end
- From "hope and change" to Dems living in the real ...
- One last salute to Sen McCain
- It was a good win but not a landslide!
- It feels a lot like 1976 & 1992
- 2008: Bad year for the media!
- McCain will win most red states and the election!
- What kind of unity is Obama talking about?
- Wonder how Hillary Clinton supporters feel about t...
- Expect surprises on election day!
- We support Prop 8 in California!
- The cheerleaders were a lot better than the Cowboy...
- Vote McCain on Tuesday!
- Remembering Dwight Yoakam
- The Texas-Texas Tech game was one of the best ever...
- No "hope and change" for BO's aunt and half-brothe...
- Iraq's incredible story!
- BO does not like questions!
- Obama is just telling people what they want to hea...
- Obama, a vague resume and lousy references!
- Too many idiots in the angry left!
- BO's Israel problem!
- Why does the UN love Obama?
- ▼ November (98)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- ► 2005 (400)