Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Three songs about a girl named Ruby!


What's a Ruby:

"Ruby, precious gemstone that occurs as a red, transparent variety of the mineral corundum."

Just saw this the other day:


It's funny.  I like that name a lot, too.  We don't any daughters.  However, I would have campaigned to have her named Ruby.

These are 3 examples of songs named after a girl named Ruby.

Each Ruby is a very different character, a girl with a different personality.

The first one is "Ruby Baby" from Dion in the early 1960s. We call this one sweet Ruby:


"Ah now said I love a girl and-a Ruby is her nameThis girl don't love me but I love 'er just the same(Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh),
Ruby, Ruby, I'm-a want yaLike a ghost
I'm-a gonna haunt yaRuby, Ruby, Ruby will you be mine?,
sometime Ah each time I see you,
baby my heart criesI tell ya I'm gonna steal you away from all those guysWhoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, from the happy day I met yaNow I made a bet that I was goin' to get yaRuby, Ruby, Ruby will you be mine?"Hey-hey " (Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, baby)"Hey-hey"
(Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, baby)"Hey-hey"
(Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, baby)"Hey-hey"(Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, baby)["Hey-hey"
Now I love this girl I said-a Ruby is her nameWhen this girl looks at me she just sets my soul aflameWhoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, I got some hugs and-a kisses, tooYeah and now I'm gonna give-a them all to youNow, listen, now Ruby, Ruby, when will you be mine?"

The second is "Ruby Tuesday", the elusive character that inspired one of The Rolling Stones' very best tunes:



"She would never say where she came fromYesterday dont matter if its goneWhile the sun is brightOr in the darkest nightNo one knows She comes and goesGoodbye, ruby tuesdayWho could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new dayStill Im gonna miss you...Dont question why she needs to be so freeShell tell you its the only way to beShe just cant be chainedTo a life where nothings gainedAnd nothings lost At such a costTheres no time to lose, I heard her sayCatch your dreams before they slip awayDying all the timeLose your dreamsAnd you will lose your mind.Aint life unkind?
Goodbye, ruby tuesdayWho could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new dayStill Im gonna miss you..."

The third is Kenny Rogers' "Ruby", a young woman who is hard to keep at home:




"You've painted up your lipsAnd rolled and curled your tinted hairRuby are you contemplatingGoing out somewhereThe shadow on the wallTells me the sun is going downOh Ruby Don't take your love to townIt wasn't me That started that old crazy Asian warBut I was proud to goAnd do my patriotic choreAnd yes, it's true that I'm not the man I used to beOh, Ruby I still need some companyIts hard to love a man Whose legs are bent and paralysedAnd the wants and the needs of a woman your age Ruby I realize,But it won't be long i've heard them say until I not aroundOh Ruby Don't take your love to townShe's leaving now causeI just heard the slamming of the doorThe way I know I've heard it slam 100 times beforeAnd if I could move I'd get my gunAnd put her in the groundOh RubyDon't take your love to townOh Ruby for God's sake turn around"

Search This Blog