Wednesday, December 03, 2008
The Republican Senators should force Eric Holder to explain the Marc Rich pardon!
The Marc Rich pardon was so despicable that even liberals turned on Clinton. It was the last straw from one of the most corrupt men to serve in The Oval Office. Unfortunately, we have never had an open debate about this pardon. It's time to have one!
Role In Rich Pardon Disqualifies Holder For AG By RICHARD COHEN should be read and discussed openly over the next 30 days.
The Republicans, and perhaps some Dems, should force AG nominee Holder to explain how Marc Rich deserved a pardon.
Cohen reminds us of Marc Rich:
"Rich was a commodities trader who amassed both a fortune and some influential friends back in the 1970s and '80s.
Along with his partner, Pincus Green, he was indicted in 1983 on 65 counts of tax evasion and related matters.
Before he could be prosecuted, however, he fled to Switzerland.
There he remained, avoiding extradition and eventually arranging to be represented by Jack Quinn, a Washington lawyer and Clinton's one-time White House counsel — in other words, a certified power broker.
Quinn did an end run around the Justice Department's pardon office and went straight to Holder and the White House.
With a stroke of the pen, justice was not done.
Holder was not just an integral part of the pardon process, he provided the White House with cover by offering his go-ahead recommendation.
No alarm seemed to sound for him.
Not only had strings been pulled but it was rare to pardon a fugitive — someone who avoided possible conviction by avoiding the inconvenience of a trial.
The U.S. attorney's office in New York — which, Holder had told the White House, would oppose any pardon — was kept ignorant of what was going on.
Afterward, it was furious."
There is more. What about Marc Rich's ex-wife and the Clinton Library? See this from Fred Barbash:
"Rich's former wife had donated significant sums to the Clinton library and to other Democratic causes, and the pardon drew significant criticism and coverage at the time.
Eric Holder, as Clinton administration deputy attorney general, participated in the Justice Department decision-making that led up to the pardon.
Holder's nomination raises a couple of questions.
First, didn't someone in the Obama team see this controversy coming?
Second, why would Obama want to revive one of the most despicable moments of the Clinton presidency?
Again, I don't get it.
Holder is probably a very smart man. However, he is also a man with a huge cloud over his head, not exactly the kind of person that you want running the Justice Dept.
P.S. Normally, I don't challenge a Pres-elect's nominations. After all, he won the election. He is entitled to his team!
Holder's nominations reflects a little tone deafness on Obama's part! Let's hope that he reconsiders the nomination and finds someone like the current AG Michael B. Mukasey.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- The Cuban tragedy started 50 years ago tonight!
- How does "the party of little people" replace its ...
- 2008: It was a very bad year for The NY Times!
- 2009: Be careful with your predictions!
- 2008: We lost Cachao
- 2008: The Cardinal Mindszenty Foundation is 50 yea...
- 2008: The Rangers were a disappointment again!
- 2008: It was a bad year for Al Gore
- Bill Katz, our favorite blogger in 2008
- 2008: The Tampa Bay Rays were the big sports story...
- Can it get any crazier in Illinois?
- 2008: We are very proud of Laura Bush's work!
- Will Obama be forced to bring back the draft?
- 2008: A very bad year for the global warming fanat...
- 2008: The Castro brothers are still wrecking Cuba!...
- The incredible Clinton money machine
- Can someone tell Caroline to step aside?
- Obama and the Iraq war
- It will take a long time to get over this Cowboys'...
- 2008: Dr. Murano is our choice for Texan of the Ye...
- Three songs about a girl named Ruby!
- It's great to see Modano win one for the Stars!
- For some, BO is already the next Abe!
- Israel has a right to defend itself!
- 2008 was a tough year for Mexico
- Obama and the reverends!
- Have you heard any Dems contradict VP Cheney?
- Global warming snowed out!
- The Mavs are quietly winning!
- Are the Stars finally ready to roll?
- Ralphie's mom is one wonderful Christmastime mothe...
- Christmas 2008: So proud of our troops in Iraq!
- We wish you a Merry Christmas!
- BO's internal report!
- President Bush and Brian's mom!
- Great for AJ, Tex and CC but VERY BAD for baseball...
- Why dump this report at 4:30 pm on Dec 23rd?
- Am I the only one who thinks that Dallas can beat ...
- 1968: A wonderful Christmas Eve
- Merry Christmas and "thank you's" to all of the mi...
- Rush Limbaugh's killer quote about BO and Clark Ke...
- Uncle Jose passed away today
- The professor and global warming
- Tony Romo has another chance in Philadelphia
- I am ready to join the global cooling movement!
- Happy # 59 to Robin Gibb
- Bush bashing at The NY Times hits a new low!
- Let her stay as "Sweet Caroline"!
- Clinton's millions!
- A few Christmas pop tunes!
- What a horrible way to close Texas Stadium
- Tom Landry, great coach and WW2 hero
- Remembering Dock Ellis
- Happy # 65 to Keith Richards
- Today, the Cowboys play their last game at Texas S...
- Bush has responsibly moved the ball forward
- Bill Clinton's cash is Hillary's nightmare and Oba...
- Illinois in desperate need of an adult!
- It snows everytime that Al Gore talks about global...
- Our sympathies to the Weyrich family
- I voted for McCain and.....
- Can the Blago story get any crazier?
- Like so much else, BO is finding that the "torture...
- Remembering George Harrison
- What info does Blago have on his critics?
- The "shoe" and the crazy left
- A little ice on our roads
- The UAW needs a dose of reality
- Share this one with the "doom and gloom" crowd
- The weekend's killer quote!
- Cowboys' defense shows up big time!
- And they call this a guy a journalist?
- Keep my uncle Jose in your prayers!
- The wonderful Seekers from Australia!
- Obama and Chicago
- It's confirmed
- Does Obama understand the perils of Afghanistan?
- Let's talk Chicago with Rick Moran
- Dear Media: No more questions about the family pup...
- Gov-Blago, Mrs-Blago, one party rule and those con...
- Abortion gives Obama a chance to make up with the ...
- Blame the voters!
- Why did so many Dems sleep poorly last night?
- Tuesday's show: A chat with Adrianna Boyne
- Did Obama know that his "seat" was up for sale?
- How do we get Hispanics to vote Republican in 2012...
- A fun "what if" about Obama!
- No auto bailout!
- What a heartbreaker in Pittsburgh!
- Pearl Harbor, 67 years later
- A very ugly and corrupt 50-year old revolution!
- Greg Maddux was a spectacular pitcher
- 15 years ago: Great song
- Obama knows that this is a center-right country
- A lot to be proud of in Iraq!
- In Europe, and over here, BO is starting to look a...
- Got 23 minutes? You will love this interview!
- Raul Castro does not like critics either!
- Pres Bush & Mrs. Bush will return to Dallas
- Don't let all of the "doom and gloom" spoil your w...
- Thursday's show: A chat with Jack Kelly about nati...
- The Dems are about to get a reality check with the...
- Obama, Iraq and The NY Times
- How many times can Obama change his mind?
- Oliva should be in the Hall of Fame
- The Republican Senators should force Eric Holder t...
- Obama missed a great opportunity to help the DC pu...
- How long can Bill Clinton stay away from microphon...
- Obama and the myth of small donations!
- Check it out: There is a profitable US auto indust...
- A big "thank you" to everyone who went shopping!
- 2 tough years for Pres. Calderon!
- Where is Hillary Clinton's diplomatic experience?
- Another great moment for Mike Modano!
- Who really won the election?
- Terrorists send a message!
- ▼ December (116)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- ► 2005 (400)