Wednesday, December 31, 2008
The Cuban tragedy started 50 years ago tonight!
50 years ago, my parents were getting dressed up to go welcome the new year of 1959.
Like most Cubans, they were optimistic about the future.
To say the least, there were no Cubans desperately trying to swim over to the US. There were no lines outside foreign embassies looking for any loophole to get out of the country. (Cubans clamor for Spanish passports)
IBD has a great editorial today called Communist Cuba: 50 Years Of Failure:
"New Year's Day marks 50 years of communist rule in Cuba. The Castro oligarchy will trumpet its survival and celebrate.
But the reality, up close, is that it's the longest-running failure in the New World.
Spare us the fireworks and media-parroted claims of Fidel Castro's dictatorship bringing universal health care and education to Cuba.
The real story is that a prosperous Cuba was turned into ruins in just five decades."
Also, spare me the "blame the US" message, too! Spare me the "blame the US embargo" nonsense. Cuba can do business with any country in the world. The US embargo has not stopped the EU, Canada or Mexico from doing business with Cuba. What's the problem? Read on:
""It's a major failure," Carmelo Mesa-Lago, a University of Pittsburgh economist, told IBD.
"Cuba is unable to increase food production to meet its needs and now imports 84% of its food.
Cuba produced 7 million tons of sugar in 1952.
This year, it's 1.5 million tons.
This is the result of economic policy of collectivization, killing of individual incentive, inefficiency, constant changes of policy."
50 years of lies, corruption and economic failure.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- The Cuban tragedy started 50 years ago tonight!
- How does "the party of little people" replace its ...
- 2008: It was a very bad year for The NY Times!
- 2009: Be careful with your predictions!
- 2008: We lost Cachao
- 2008: The Cardinal Mindszenty Foundation is 50 yea...
- 2008: The Rangers were a disappointment again!
- 2008: It was a bad year for Al Gore
- Bill Katz, our favorite blogger in 2008
- 2008: The Tampa Bay Rays were the big sports story...
- Can it get any crazier in Illinois?
- 2008: We are very proud of Laura Bush's work!
- Will Obama be forced to bring back the draft?
- 2008: A very bad year for the global warming fanat...
- 2008: The Castro brothers are still wrecking Cuba!...
- The incredible Clinton money machine
- Can someone tell Caroline to step aside?
- Obama and the Iraq war
- It will take a long time to get over this Cowboys'...
- 2008: Dr. Murano is our choice for Texan of the Ye...
- Three songs about a girl named Ruby!
- It's great to see Modano win one for the Stars!
- For some, BO is already the next Abe!
- Israel has a right to defend itself!
- 2008 was a tough year for Mexico
- Obama and the reverends!
- Have you heard any Dems contradict VP Cheney?
- Global warming snowed out!
- The Mavs are quietly winning!
- Are the Stars finally ready to roll?
- Ralphie's mom is one wonderful Christmastime mothe...
- Christmas 2008: So proud of our troops in Iraq!
- We wish you a Merry Christmas!
- BO's internal report!
- President Bush and Brian's mom!
- Great for AJ, Tex and CC but VERY BAD for baseball...
- Why dump this report at 4:30 pm on Dec 23rd?
- Am I the only one who thinks that Dallas can beat ...
- 1968: A wonderful Christmas Eve
- Merry Christmas and "thank you's" to all of the mi...
- Rush Limbaugh's killer quote about BO and Clark Ke...
- Uncle Jose passed away today
- The professor and global warming
- Tony Romo has another chance in Philadelphia
- I am ready to join the global cooling movement!
- Happy # 59 to Robin Gibb
- Bush bashing at The NY Times hits a new low!
- Let her stay as "Sweet Caroline"!
- Clinton's millions!
- A few Christmas pop tunes!
- What a horrible way to close Texas Stadium
- Tom Landry, great coach and WW2 hero
- Remembering Dock Ellis
- Happy # 65 to Keith Richards
- Today, the Cowboys play their last game at Texas S...
- Bush has responsibly moved the ball forward
- Bill Clinton's cash is Hillary's nightmare and Oba...
- Illinois in desperate need of an adult!
- It snows everytime that Al Gore talks about global...
- Our sympathies to the Weyrich family
- I voted for McCain and.....
- Can the Blago story get any crazier?
- Like so much else, BO is finding that the "torture...
- Remembering George Harrison
- What info does Blago have on his critics?
- The "shoe" and the crazy left
- A little ice on our roads
- The UAW needs a dose of reality
- Share this one with the "doom and gloom" crowd
- The weekend's killer quote!
- Cowboys' defense shows up big time!
- And they call this a guy a journalist?
- Keep my uncle Jose in your prayers!
- The wonderful Seekers from Australia!
- Obama and Chicago
- It's confirmed
- Does Obama understand the perils of Afghanistan?
- Let's talk Chicago with Rick Moran
- Dear Media: No more questions about the family pup...
- Gov-Blago, Mrs-Blago, one party rule and those con...
- Abortion gives Obama a chance to make up with the ...
- Blame the voters!
- Why did so many Dems sleep poorly last night?
- Tuesday's show: A chat with Adrianna Boyne
- Did Obama know that his "seat" was up for sale?
- How do we get Hispanics to vote Republican in 2012...
- A fun "what if" about Obama!
- No auto bailout!
- What a heartbreaker in Pittsburgh!
- Pearl Harbor, 67 years later
- A very ugly and corrupt 50-year old revolution!
- Greg Maddux was a spectacular pitcher
- 15 years ago: Great song
- Obama knows that this is a center-right country
- A lot to be proud of in Iraq!
- In Europe, and over here, BO is starting to look a...
- Got 23 minutes? You will love this interview!
- Raul Castro does not like critics either!
- Pres Bush & Mrs. Bush will return to Dallas
- Don't let all of the "doom and gloom" spoil your w...
- Thursday's show: A chat with Jack Kelly about nati...
- The Dems are about to get a reality check with the...
- Obama, Iraq and The NY Times
- How many times can Obama change his mind?
- Oliva should be in the Hall of Fame
- The Republican Senators should force Eric Holder t...
- Obama missed a great opportunity to help the DC pu...
- How long can Bill Clinton stay away from microphon...
- Obama and the myth of small donations!
- Check it out: There is a profitable US auto indust...
- A big "thank you" to everyone who went shopping!
- 2 tough years for Pres. Calderon!
- Where is Hillary Clinton's diplomatic experience?
- Another great moment for Mike Modano!
- Who really won the election?
- Terrorists send a message!
- ▼ December (116)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- ► 2005 (400)