Thursday, November 13, 2008
What about immigration reform now?
The bad news about losing an election is that it hurts.
The good news is that forces the winners to deal with real world issues. It's our turn to sit in the bleachers and watch the new coach call some plays.
Let's talk about immigration reform, a huge hot potato. There are huge divisions in the Dem party about immigration, from the open borders approach of The NY Times to the unions' opposition to guest workers. This is a big hot potato for the Dems.
First, I was very disappointed that the news media did not force the presidential candidates to talk about immigration reform, foreign policy and national security in general.
Second, it's a fact that Hispanics voted for Obama.
Hispanics voted for Obama because they expect the Dem party to walk the talk.
As with Iraq, we will soon find out that the Dems are a lot better at talking than walking.
Immigration reform, or a path to legalization or citizenship, is a huge mess for Dems because of labor unions.
Also, there are many Dems representing suburban or rural districts where border control is a lot more important than a path to legalization.
Ruben Navarrete has a good column today. I hope that a lot of Hispanics read it:
"As has always been the case with the immigration issue, what Democrats worry about most is antagonizing their sponsors in organized labor.
Bringing back the debate over comprehensive immigration reform means restarting the discussion of a new guest-worker plan -- which John Sweeney at the AFL-CIO considers "a bad idea (that) harms all workers."
Hispanics were told to vote Dem in 2008 and immigration reform would happen.
Don't hold your breadth! We are still waiting for Congressional Dems to end the Iraq War.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- December (26)
- November (87)
- October (108)
- September (87)
- August (79)
- July (62)
- June (70)
- May (71)
- April (60)
- March (43)
- February (46)
- January (55)
- December (40)
- November (35)
- October (47)
- September (35)
- August (33)
- July (43)
- June (53)
- May (58)
- April (58)
- March (54)
- February (53)
- January (64)
- December (66)
- November (47)
- October (64)
- September (75)
- August (70)
- July (83)
- June (83)
- May (85)
- April (74)
- March (73)
- February (63)
- January (74)
- December (82)
- November (70)
- October (67)
- September (58)
- August (72)
- July (92)
- June (76)
- May (69)
- April (67)
- March (61)
- February (56)
- January (99)
- December (120)
- November (89)
- October (97)
- September (109)
- August (115)
- July (115)
- June (121)
- May (121)
- April (112)
- March (127)
- February (107)
- January (131)
- December (116)
- Let Bevo stomp on the BCS rankings!
- A little thanks to Pres. Bush!
- There is a lot more "doom and gloom" in the media ...
- A get well greeting for Barbara Bush
- Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday! And go Cowboys a...
- Some in the left fear that Obama is Bush's 3rd ter...
- Should a former president make millions from givin...
- We are very proud of the Venezuelan opposition!
- Obama and the economic recovery
- Dem party unity is a big myth!
- Will the left and Obama have a honeymoon?
- Obama shifting again?
- Halperin is the latest media type to do CYA (cover...
- Michael Yon's latest dispatch from Iraq!
- Economic teams are like pitching coaches!
- No "California dreamin" these days
- TO and the Cowboys look great!
- What a Saturday for college football fans!
- Is "Lonely Days" really 38 years old?
- The Pres elect makes a good choice for Treasury
- CDS: The last chapter! Let's hope!
- Holder is a bad choice
- Will Obama support the DC public schools?
- The wrong mechanics!
- Breaking lots of anti-war hearts!
- Mavs and Stars are off to slow starts
- The markets are confused with Obama so far!
- Keep Sec. Gates as Sec. of Defense!
- Mitt Romney's brilliant op-ed on the auto bailout
- Is Obama ready for Clintonian conflicts of interes...
- Stevens: Once in a while, a Republican must lose!
- Hamilton was the best player story of 2008
- A couple of videos about the "yes we can" screamer...
- The incredible success in Iraq
- Michael Steele is my choice the RNC
- Some thoughts on GITMO
- Howard Kurtz does a little CYA?
- You can't bailout this mess, part 2
- You can't bailout this mess!
- Barber saves the Cowboys' season in Washington
- They don't care about elections, unless they win!
- 40 years ago.....Those were the days!
- Go Longhorns! Win the national title!
- Hillary Clinton for Sec of State?
- There was no Obama landslide
- The labor unions and Obama
- How many more scandals can DISD take?
- Let the Dems own the car industry bailout
- The bishops are right to defend the unborn
- Thursday's show: A chat with Lt. Col. Ret. Joe Rep...
- The stock market is 14% down since BO won the elec...
- What about immigration reform now?
- Put them on Chapter 11 and let the markets restruc...
- Maddon and Piniella are the obvious choices!
- Obama DS is just as stupid as Bush DS!
- Tuesday's show: A little baseball (and NFL footbal...
- Happy Veterans' Day and remembering the vets from ...
- Say happy birthday to a Marine!
- The stock market is listening to Obama!
- We like Romney in 2012
- A "reality check" for the "yes we can" screamers i...
- JR and Dallas celebrate 30 years!
- 2008: No huge turnout after all!
- Election day was a good day for traditional marria...
- Our favorite Ranger finally wins a gold glove!
- A song about Sara (not the governor!)
- "For no one", a wonderful song by The Beatles
- Remembering "South Dakota Morning"
- The media: From the tank to CYA?
- Obama has to live up to the character that he crea...
- What the US can learn from Texas?
- Why the attacks on Gov Palin?
- Foreign policy, not the economy, will define the O...
- How BO scared investors during the campaign!
- How should we treat Pres Obama?
- The media was in the tank all the way to the end
- From "hope and change" to Dems living in the real ...
- One last salute to Sen McCain
- It was a good win but not a landslide!
- It feels a lot like 1976 & 1992
- 2008: Bad year for the media!
- McCain will win most red states and the election!
- What kind of unity is Obama talking about?
- Wonder how Hillary Clinton supporters feel about t...
- Expect surprises on election day!
- We support Prop 8 in California!
- The cheerleaders were a lot better than the Cowboy...
- Vote McCain on Tuesday!
- Remembering Dwight Yoakam
- The Texas-Texas Tech game was one of the best ever...
- No "hope and change" for BO's aunt and half-brothe...
- Iraq's incredible story!
- BO does not like questions!
- Obama is just telling people what they want to hea...
- Obama, a vague resume and lousy references!
- Too many idiots in the angry left!
- BO's Israel problem!
- Why does the UN love Obama?
- October (107)
- September (90)
- August (104)
- July (137)
- June (131)
- May (129)
- April (96)
- March (84)
- February (95)
- January (85)
- December (103)
- November (108)
- October (94)
- September (85)
- August (70)
- July (90)
- June (84)
- May (101)
- April (111)
- March (109)
- February (98)
- January (105)
- December (120)
- November (109)
- October (142)
- September (120)
- August (109)
- July (78)
- June (63)
- May (45)
- April (40)
- March (72)
- February (81)
- January (66)
- December (82)
- November (46)
- October (33)
- September (39)
- August (42)
- July (32)
- June (30)
- May (28)
- April (9)
- March (24)
- February (18)
- January (17)