Wednesday, October 08, 2008
The debate: Remember Bill Clinton's middle class tax cut?
Can we stop calling these things debates? Can we stop expecting one guy to knock out the other?
I've seen everyone of these debates since Carter-Ford in 1976. Most of them are very predictable. These debates don't usually feature a knockout punch.
For a little history, CSPAN was running a portion of the Bush-Clinton-Perot debate from 1992.
Why do the Dems always tell people what they want to hear?
Remember Bill Clinton's "middle class tax cut" from the 1992 campaign?
It was supposed to be a tax cut for the middle class.
It was supposed to correct all of the "social injustice" brought about by "the tax cuts for the rich" under Reagan-Bush. (Remember the last time a charismatic Democrat made such a promise?)
Tonight, we heard Obama say that he is going to cut taxes for 95% of the taxpayers. How can any American be stupid enough to believe that?
What's wrong with Obama telling people what they want to hear?
First, and foremost, Obama is going to have break his promise shortly after the election. Here is the bottom line: We don't have the money to give anyone a tax cut, specially people who don't pay any taxes now.
Who needs a tax cut? People who create jobs or prosperity. Who doesn't need a tax cuts? People who don't pay taxes!
Second, what's all of this Obama nonsense about health care? We can't afford another entitlement. How can any voter be foolish enough to believe that the federal government can run another entitlement? Medicare and Social Security are a mess. Are we going to add another mess?
Today's WSJ nailed it: "One of Mr. Obama's gifts is his ability to glide over contradictions with the greatest of ease.
He spent minutes explaining that we spend "$10 billion a month" in Iraq that should be spent here in the U.S.
But a short time later he was promoting what sounded like a surge in Afghanistan, and vowing to spend even more money to assist "the economies" of Eastern Europe.
He also proposes to provide free health care while claiming he'd cut more spending from the overall budget than his new ideas would cost")
Obama is engaging in the worst kind of populist nonsense in recent memory.
Promises, promises, promises! It sounds great but he won't be able to keep them!
The debate questions were OK. Nothing great but OK!
Again, it's hard to believe that there weren't any questions about immigration or abortion.
Overall, I think that McCain did well, specially when he spoke about national security issues.
Speaking of foreign policy, does Obama understand how difficult a land war in Afghanistan will be? or in Pakistan?
I get the impression that Dems want to sound "tough" by calling for a larger presence in Afghanistan. My concern is that the Dems do not have the stomach to fight such a war.
Sadly, Obama did well by telling people what they wanted to hear.
If McCain wins, most people will get a president who makes tough decisions and has a realistic view of the world.
If Obama wins, look for lots of policy reversals. Again, remember Clinton's '92 tax cut?
We can't afford what Obama is proposing. I'm telling you now. Unfortunately, some of his supporters will find out about it after he is elected.
Again, remember Bill Clinton's middle class tax cuts?
P.S. What was the best question? I liked the one about the future. My guess is that the next presidency will be consumed with things that did not come up in this debate.
Can you say Afghanistan? Al Qaeda? Did any of that come up in the 2000 Gore-Bush debates?
LISTEN TO OUR RECENT SHOWS
Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2015 (1228)
- ► 2014 (927)
- ► 2013 (855)
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- How much doom and gloom is too much doom and gloom...
- Happy Halloween!
- What scandals will follow BO to the White House?
- Good luck to the Mavericks!
- Barack in Wonderland!
- Congratulations to the Phillies!
- BO is not JFK!
- Rush Limbaugh on PDS!
- Shouldn't The LA Times let Jewish Americans see th...
- PDS and a couple of idiots in LA!
- A photo ID is the best answer to ACORN!
- What happened to journalism in 2008?
- Sarkozy can smell a weak Dem all the way from Pari...
- Does your ticket to BO's big party have a full ref...
- Sad to hear about Dean Barnett
- Should the Stars sign the Cowboys' punter?
- The Dems don't like questions!
- Why aren't we forcing the candidates to talk about...
- The latest from ACORN
- Hello # 11 Roy Williams: Welcome to Dallas!
- Who was looking into Joe the Plumber's personal fi...
- Sowell nailed it!
- Obama isn't tough enough to be president
- Obama: No "hope and change" for the unborn!
- The Beatles: 3 of my favorites!
- O'Reilly meets Ayers (in case you missed it)
- How much do we really know about Obama?
- More McCain endorsements!
- A McCain endorsement from Krauthammer
- Robin Hood Obama
- Real "doom and gloom" at The NY Times!
- Beware of so many crazy polls!
- Audio history: Our friend Bill Katz remembers the ...
- Brad Lidge is the difference!
- Obama wants the US to look like Europe (and the hi...
- Obama's unusual friend!
- Congratulations to Josh Hamilton!
- The Phillies in 7!
- Lots of early voting in Texas!
- We will regret another "domestic election"!
- Obama and "taxes on the rich"
- What exactly did Joe Biden mean?
- Are you kidding me, Sec. Powell?
- Congratulations to the Rays, AL champs!
- The Cowboys were awful today!
- A rare George Harrison lead vocal from the early d...
- The Bee Gees: I have not heard this one in a long ...
- The Beatles: I have not heard this one in a long t...
- What's the point of a NY Times' front page hatchet...
- Sorry to hear about Levi Stubbs
- The polls are closing! Don't they always do?
- The angry left goes after Joe the plumber!
- It's Joe and "taxes" all the way to victory!
- Who predicted the Phillies? Not me!
- Obama, ACORN and more problems in Ohio!
- Debate 3 and Joe the Plumber!
- A simple question for Obama tonight!
- Don't get caught in the minute to minute poll game...
- You can thank Gore 2000 for today's ACORN!
- What in the world did Jesse Jackson mean?
- BO is getting ready to throw ACORN under the bus
- How sick are things in San Francisco?
- They picked the wrong mouse to register as a Democ...
- ACORN's vote fraud goes national!
- Obama does not understand how wealth is created!
- The US economy will come out OK
- Obama and the promises that he can't keep! (a.k.a....
- Where is the media outrage over the angry left?
- When will Senator Dodd hold a press conference?
- Congratulations to the # 1 Longhorns!
- What a crazy Cowboys' game!
- Your weekend humor: Acorn claims to be non-partisa...
- Where is the outrage when they say it about our gu...
- The Beatles' White Album, 40 years later!
- Texas wins!
- Ayers is about Obama's character!
- Acorn is crooked and rather incompetent too!
- # 5 Texas vs. # 1 Oklahoma
- Barack "Acorn" Obama
- Everybody is upbeat about the Stars!
- Why are the Dems beating up Colombia?
- Thursday's show: A chat with Paul Greco about bas...
- Obama is not telling the truth about Ayers!
- Obama wants to fight genocide everywhere except in...
- Are you concerned about vote fraud, too?
- Let Sarah Palin take Obama directly!
- The debate: Remember Bill Clinton's middle class t...
- The election in Canada
- This is why Rezko matters!
- Is Obama an ethical time bomb?
- How can Obama get away with so much "class warfare...
- What was the AP thinking about Ayers & Obama?
- October is "respect life" month
- Foreign policy and the next president
- Can you trust this bunch to tackle Social Security...
- Remembering Maurice Gibb!
- The vote was easy. Now, let's have the investigat...
- This election will be about judicial nominations!
- Can someone explain the Cubs?
- The debate: Sarah meets Joe!
- ▼ October (107)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- ► 2005 (400)