Friday, October 31, 2008
How much doom and gloom is too much doom and gloom?
BO is Mr. Doom and Gloom. Everything is terrible. Everything is horrible.
In fact, the US is doing better than the countries. Most of the world would love to live under our economic "doom and gloom".
Check the numbers. Professor VD Hanson's post (America’s political, social, and economic system is still by far the most resilient in the world) compares the US to the other industrial nations:
"First, oil prices are crashing.
That will soon save us hundreds of billions in imported-fuel expenses, while denying our overextended enemies — in Russia, as well as in Iran, Venezuela, and others in the OPEC cartel — half of their accustomed cash to cause trouble.
Meanwhile, the U.S. is increasing natural-gas production; is likely to increase drilling offshore; will all but certainly soon build more nuclear-power, wind, and solar plants; and is sitting on the world’s largest coal reserves.
A new generation of hybrid, electric, and flex-fuel cars are on the horizon that could even shave off more from our imported-fuel bills.
Second, we are already way ahead of the rest of the world in dealing with toxic debt.
Western Europe is discovering that its banks lent more against their reserves than did their American counterparts.
European real estate was often more inflated than our own.
Bankers in Frankfurt, London, and Paris are looking at trillions of dollars in uncollectible Euro loans throughout Latin America, Asia, and Eastern Europe.
Most of our toxic debt was at least owed as mortgages by fellow Americans; far more of Europe’s is owed by those outside the European Union.
Even when the United States is reeling from financial panic, foreign investment continues to flow into America; the dollar, meanwhile, is climbing against the Euro. China’s export-driven and Russia’s energy economies are in crisis.
They may have hundreds of billions in dollar reserves, but as the world energy and consumer economies slow, both countries lack our institutions, infrastructure, and broad flexibility to easily rebound.
Third, the United States is still growing as the population of Europe shrinks.
The populations of Japan and China both age at a faster rate than America’s does.
Russia faces the perfect storm of a declining, aging, and increasingly unhealthy population.
The result is that America can much more easily grow itself out of a housing glut.
Fourth, the war in Iraq is no longer even a war in a traditional sense.
In July, four times as many Americans were murdered in the city of Chicago in peacetime than were killed in Iraq at war in the same period.
The cost of deploying American troops in Iraq is nearing the expense to station them elsewhere abroad.
As Iraqis continue to take over additional provinces, the American presence will shrink further."
Again, doom and gloom is in vogue. However, there is no reason to jump off the roof. The US will recover, get up and bounce back.
Don't fall for all of the doom and gloom. You are so lucky to be living in the US!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- December (26)
- November (87)
- October (108)
- September (87)
- August (79)
- July (62)
- June (70)
- May (71)
- April (60)
- March (43)
- February (46)
- January (55)
- December (40)
- November (35)
- October (47)
- September (35)
- August (33)
- July (43)
- June (53)
- May (58)
- April (58)
- March (54)
- February (53)
- January (64)
- December (66)
- November (47)
- October (64)
- September (75)
- August (70)
- July (83)
- June (83)
- May (85)
- April (74)
- March (73)
- February (63)
- January (74)
- December (82)
- November (70)
- October (67)
- September (58)
- August (72)
- July (92)
- June (76)
- May (69)
- April (67)
- March (61)
- February (56)
- January (99)
- December (120)
- November (89)
- October (97)
- September (109)
- August (115)
- July (115)
- June (121)
- May (121)
- April (112)
- March (127)
- February (107)
- January (131)
- December (116)
- November (98)
- How much doom and gloom is too much doom and gloom...
- Happy Halloween!
- What scandals will follow BO to the White House?
- Good luck to the Mavericks!
- Barack in Wonderland!
- Congratulations to the Phillies!
- BO is not JFK!
- Rush Limbaugh on PDS!
- Shouldn't The LA Times let Jewish Americans see th...
- PDS and a couple of idiots in LA!
- A photo ID is the best answer to ACORN!
- What happened to journalism in 2008?
- Sarkozy can smell a weak Dem all the way from Pari...
- Does your ticket to BO's big party have a full ref...
- Sad to hear about Dean Barnett
- Should the Stars sign the Cowboys' punter?
- The Dems don't like questions!
- Why aren't we forcing the candidates to talk about...
- The latest from ACORN
- Hello # 11 Roy Williams: Welcome to Dallas!
- Who was looking into Joe the Plumber's personal fi...
- Sowell nailed it!
- Obama isn't tough enough to be president
- Obama: No "hope and change" for the unborn!
- The Beatles: 3 of my favorites!
- O'Reilly meets Ayers (in case you missed it)
- How much do we really know about Obama?
- More McCain endorsements!
- A McCain endorsement from Krauthammer
- Robin Hood Obama
- Real "doom and gloom" at The NY Times!
- Beware of so many crazy polls!
- Audio history: Our friend Bill Katz remembers the ...
- Brad Lidge is the difference!
- Obama wants the US to look like Europe (and the hi...
- Obama's unusual friend!
- Congratulations to Josh Hamilton!
- The Phillies in 7!
- Lots of early voting in Texas!
- We will regret another "domestic election"!
- Obama and "taxes on the rich"
- What exactly did Joe Biden mean?
- Are you kidding me, Sec. Powell?
- Congratulations to the Rays, AL champs!
- The Cowboys were awful today!
- A rare George Harrison lead vocal from the early d...
- The Bee Gees: I have not heard this one in a long ...
- The Beatles: I have not heard this one in a long t...
- What's the point of a NY Times' front page hatchet...
- Sorry to hear about Levi Stubbs
- The polls are closing! Don't they always do?
- The angry left goes after Joe the plumber!
- It's Joe and "taxes" all the way to victory!
- Who predicted the Phillies? Not me!
- Obama, ACORN and more problems in Ohio!
- Debate 3 and Joe the Plumber!
- A simple question for Obama tonight!
- Don't get caught in the minute to minute poll game...
- You can thank Gore 2000 for today's ACORN!
- What in the world did Jesse Jackson mean?
- BO is getting ready to throw ACORN under the bus
- How sick are things in San Francisco?
- They picked the wrong mouse to register as a Democ...
- ACORN's vote fraud goes national!
- Obama does not understand how wealth is created!
- The US economy will come out OK
- Obama and the promises that he can't keep! (a.k.a....
- Where is the media outrage over the angry left?
- When will Senator Dodd hold a press conference?
- Congratulations to the # 1 Longhorns!
- What a crazy Cowboys' game!
- Your weekend humor: Acorn claims to be non-partisa...
- Where is the outrage when they say it about our gu...
- The Beatles' White Album, 40 years later!
- Texas wins!
- Ayers is about Obama's character!
- Acorn is crooked and rather incompetent too!
- # 5 Texas vs. # 1 Oklahoma
- Barack "Acorn" Obama
- Everybody is upbeat about the Stars!
- Why are the Dems beating up Colombia?
- Thursday's show: A chat with Paul Greco about bas...
- Obama is not telling the truth about Ayers!
- Obama wants to fight genocide everywhere except in...
- Are you concerned about vote fraud, too?
- Let Sarah Palin take Obama directly!
- The debate: Remember Bill Clinton's middle class t...
- The election in Canada
- This is why Rezko matters!
- Is Obama an ethical time bomb?
- How can Obama get away with so much "class warfare...
- What was the AP thinking about Ayers & Obama?
- October is "respect life" month
- Foreign policy and the next president
- Can you trust this bunch to tackle Social Security...
- Remembering Maurice Gibb!
- The vote was easy. Now, let's have the investigat...
- This election will be about judicial nominations!
- Can someone explain the Cubs?
- The debate: Sarah meets Joe!
- Our friend Bill Katz nailed the Ifill controversy!...
- Why is BO so sensitive to criticism?
- Let Gov. Palin make an issue of corruption between...
- Post-season baseball will give us a break from the...
- Do we need another media controversy in 2008?
- Tuesday's show: A chat with Prof. Bonevac
- Finally, a fact check on free trade!
- September (90)
- August (104)
- July (137)
- June (131)
- May (129)
- April (96)
- March (84)
- February (95)
- January (85)
- December (103)
- November (108)
- October (94)
- September (85)
- August (70)
- July (90)
- June (84)
- May (101)
- April (111)
- March (109)
- February (98)
- January (105)
- December (120)
- November (109)
- October (142)
- September (120)
- August (109)
- July (78)
- June (63)
- May (45)
- April (40)
- March (72)
- February (81)
- January (66)
- December (82)
- November (46)
- October (33)
- September (39)
- August (42)
- July (32)
- June (30)
- May (28)
- April (9)
- March (24)
- February (18)
- January (17)